cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

7911g registering problems

mark_gardner
Level 1
Level 1

Whats the problem with these 7911g's, they take ages to register, using cme 4.0(3), c3825-ipvoicek9-mz.124-4.XC4.bin, and the cisco recommended load for this version of cme SCCP11.7-2-1-0S.loads.

Phones just reset constantly, have to power off and power on, some register quicker than others some take at least 30 minutes ?

Anyone had the same problem ?

Thanks in advance

11 Replies 11

mark_gardner
Level 1
Level 1

Did some digging and another post suggests using the option 66 for tftp server, tried this still no further forward.

Some phones register after 30 minutes or so after resetting power a few times, some phones just dont register at all ?

thanks in advance

k.clarke
Level 1
Level 1

Mark,

Just finished a pre-stage today using several 7911G phones with no issues at all. I am using CME 4.0.3 and IOS XC6 with the cmterm-7906-7911-sccp.804SR2.tar files.

Keith.

Hi Keith

I running a lot of 7931's in this install, so I have gone by cisco's recommendations and I am using 12.4(4)XC4 and CME 4.0(3).

This link

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps4625/prod_installation_guide09186a0080774341.html

states :

For SCCP phones in Cisco Unified CME 4.0(3), we recommend SCCP phone firmware version 7.x.

and the recommended load for the 7911g is :

SCCP11.7-2-1-0S.loads

Initially I had the statement load SCCP11.7-2-1-0S.loads under telephony-service, this was my original problem why the phones were taking so long to load then defaulting to the term11.default load, using debugs I could see the phone was trying to download SCCP11.7-2-1-0S.loads.loads (yes double loads not typo) I realised then what I had done wrong, so removed the .loads extension from the load command in telephony-service, After that the phone saw the load, upgraded then just sat there with the cisco logo and the date/time with no dn number, I tried a second 7911g and the same thing happened, to resolve I reset the phones to factory defaults and removed the load statement under telephony-service, the phones boot fine now but they are using the term11.default load and not the SCCP11.7-2-1-0S.loads as recommended by cisco.

Strange !

Anyway that cut a long story short ;)

Mark,

please explain better:

Did you remove load SCCP11.7-2-1-0S.loads?

if you did it is normal phone load the default

default.loads is only used when the phone is not able to download the firmware it should be and seems like that is the case with you. But I'd personally not recommend using this load. You should use the latest firmware that is available on cisco.com which I think is 8.2(1).

Make sure that which configuring under telephony-service you should only use "SCCP11.7-2-1-0S", which I think you are using and also configure the tftp-server command with the complete load file with location which normally would be flash:SCCP11.7-2-1-0S.loads

Hi mchandak

I am running a lot of 7931's in this install, so I have gone by cisco's recommendations and I am using 12.4(4)XC4 and CME 4.0(3).

This link

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps4625/prod_installation_guide09186a0080774341.html

states :

For SCCP phones in Cisco Unified CME 4.0(3), we recommend SCCP phone firmware version 7.x.

and the recommended load for the 7911g is :

SCCP11.7-2-1-0S.loads

Tftp-server command with the SCCP11.7-2-1-0S firmware is configured, the phone sees the load, downloads it and upgrades, but then the phone just shows the cisco logo, the date and time across the top but no dn number details, I can get into the menus and it shows the load as SCCP11.7-2-1-0S.

I was only going by the recommendations by cisco for the load for this phone, and a upgrade to ver 8x will probably solve it as you stated.

I will try this next week on return to work.

Thanks for help

I know this is the recommended version in 7.x range, but I'not really 7.x load work well. With the new Generation Java phones, I've seen them most stable with 8.0(4)SR3 and above

mchandak is correct, in most cases, latest firmware works better.

The thing is that in theory, new firmware releases like 8.0, 8.2 etc, are supposed to be used with latest CM only (not CME), because they contains feature that only the latest CM is able to use. So cisco recommends the 7.x firmware instead.

But in practice, there are still bugs/issue in the older releases that are affecting use with CME. Unfortunately these bugs are mostly undocumented and we have to rely on the oral tradition to guess which release is right.

No doubt cisco could do a better job in documenting and fixing issues with the phones and CME.

Mark,

The kit is now installed at a customer site and is working well. However I had 7911G, 7920 and 7941 phones, not the 7931's. I would suggest, as others have, trying the phone load I specified in my first post.

Hope this helps.

Beside, the recommendation of using 7.x firmware now directly contradicts the field notice about DST changes and firmware for CCME:

http://cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps4625/products_field_notice09186a00807e9632.shtml

Customers who are using the following Cisco Unified IP phone models: 7906 7911 7931 7941 7961 7970 7971-GE

are required to upgrade to the following phone firmware to display the correct time:

* CCME 3.X, 4.0 and 4.0(x) customers need to upgrade the phone load to 8.0(4)SR3a.

* CCME 4.1 customers need to upgrade the phone load to 8.2(1).

Obviously the field notice is also wrong because the mentioned firmware is not available for the 7931.

I wonder if cisco will start paying attention to these details sometime.

Flash update, I just got word from CME's TME at cisco that the field notice will be corrected shortly.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: