cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Undeletable Unity Distribution List is deletable?

bstromquist
Level 1
Level 1

When Unity systems share an Exchange server distribution lists are global. So a d-list created on Unity A will be propagated to Unity B and vis-versa.

each Unity has three built in D-Lists: allsubscribers, unaddressedmessages and systemeventmessages. These are marked as undeletable on the system they were created on and the SA won't allow them to be deleted.

Why is it that I can go to Unity System B and delete the allsubscribers D-List from Unity System A?

3 Replies 3

Tommer Catlin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

assuming you are digitally networked, your backend is actually an Exchange Org. When you have this and multiple servers sharing the same Global Address book, an Exchange Admin from either server can add/remove/delete mailboxes and DLs. Your UnityAdmin account has privliges at the top of your Exchange Org, which grants it's rights to add/remove/delete DL's and mailboxes from any server Exchange server in the Org.

These changes get replicated from site to site through AD. Unity A and Unity B are picking up these adds/moves/deletes through AD replication.

Make sense?

I am aware of all that you are saying.

Severs A and B in my example are digitally networked. I am referring to the 3 special D-Lists in Unity. When you use SA locally, it prevents you from deleting the local copies of the three lists but it does not prevent you from deleting the replicated three lists from Unity B. This is because the distribution list's undeletable attribute is NOT synced through AD. My question is why?

Those are named the unity server name lists. Im not sure why they are replicated through AD. They must be just something built into the Unity SQL database for some reason. In my expierence, I do not use the built in list for anything. I would rather create me own in AD, let it show up in Unity and then publicize those lists for distrubution.