Views
Helpful
Replies

Limit in bytes of sent xml object to ip phones

parisatashakori
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everybody,

When I am pushing xml objects to ip phone 7960, if xml is less than some amount of bytes,(something around 1600 bytes), text appears correctly on phone's display. But if xml is more than

1600 bytes, message doesn't show up on phone's display. Have you had same experience?

Thanks for your feedback,

Parisa

5 Replies 5

secall
Level 1
Level 1

The documentation for the IP Phones indicate that 512b is the maximum size for the object being pushed.

In my own experience with even the 7960, it really is exactly 512b.

Seth

I appreciate for your reply.

Can you give me the link to the document you referred?

Thanks,

Parisa

I found what was the documnet. In Application Development Notes, it says that 'Any HTTP POST object is limited to 512 bytes in size.'

But my post is pointing to a URL which has the actual xml object so phone uses the HTTP GET to retrieve it. This xml object is large and when it's larger that

1600 (approximately) doesn't show up on phone's display.

Thanks,

Parisa

Well, I got a new result. Today I realized that number of bytes is not the problem that makes wrong function.It's the number of softkeys. What I saw was a limitaion in number of custom softkeys. When xml has more than 8 softkeys, text does not appear on the phone's display.

Any body had the same experience or know the reason of that?

Thanks for sharing your ideas,

Parisa

I don't know if this is 100% always the case, but in general, if the docs say something is the maximum limit, and you exceed it with your application, the phone just drops the request.

For instance, it does say in the docs that 8 is the max for number of softkeys. Reference the "Quick Reference Definition" document:

http://www.ciscopress.com/content/images/1587050609/errata/QuickRef.pdf