cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VPN through ICS

jezzdk2079
Level 1
Level 1

I am using Cisco VPN Client version 4.8.

I am concerned about the following statement (from the FAQ), as it does not work on our system:

"Although having the VPN Client and ICS on the same PC does not work, this arrangement does work: (see attachment)"

The client installs just fine. Both PC?s are running Windows XP.

I tried turning all firewalls off with no luck.

With the ?PC with VPN Client? connected directly to the internet, everything is fine, but that?s not an option.

Please help me getting the above scenario to work.

4 Replies 4

kaachary
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

VPN Client 4.8 is compatible with ICs. Moreover, you need to disbale/uninstall ICS only during installation of client.

After the installation it would work fine. The problem existed in the older versions of client (3.6.x) .

*Please rate if helped.

-Kanishka

Well, we weren't even using ICS when I first installed the client, so at the time I wasn't able to uninstall/disable it. And the machine with ICS haven't had the client installed at any time.

It's like this:

Machine A has a shared internet connection (it's hooked up to a cable modem) and no VPN client installed.

Machine B (my laptop) has the VPN client installed and is connected to the internet through Machine A.

The VPN client and the ICS is therefore not on the same machine. Am I misunderstanding something here?

Hi,

The version you are using (4.8) doesn't have any issues with ICS. You can have it running on the same computer as the VPN client.

The problem was there in version 3.6.x and earlier.

If you have a separate machine for ICS and a VPN client on another machine as suggested in the document, that setup is also good to go.

What exactly is the issue you are facing ?

-Kanishka

It's like this:

When my laptop is connected directly to the internet by cable modem, I'm able to connect to the company VPN just fine.

When I'm connected to the internet through another machine, running ICS, I'm suddenly unable to connect to the VPN. I get no errors or messages.

The status bar in the VPN client is just going "Contacting the security gateway at xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx...", and then after about 20 seconds is says "Not connected."

Do I need to fiddle with TCP/UDP ports and/or NAT on the machine with ICS?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: