Helpful
Replies

Usage of the Bandwidth Command ...

sanjaynadarajah
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

My questions is as follows :-

If we have two routers, R4 and R5 and have 2 connections to each other ... one link is through the FR cloud and the other is through HDLC encapsulation.

My Q is that by using the bandwidth command, we can specify which path to take right ? If I want it through the FR cloud, then on R4, I use a larger value with the bandwidth commnad, ie) bandwidth 256 and for the HDLC link a bandwidth of 56, ie) bandwidth 56.

Is this the correct usage of the bandwith interface level command ?

Pls advice,

- sn -

2 Replies 2

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

sn

Whether this will work or not depends on how you do your routing. If you use OSPF or EIGRP then specifying bandwidth will affect which connection is used. (Note that with EIGRP it is generally suggested to manipulate the delay rather than the bandwidth to select path) But if you are using RIP or static routes then changing the bandwidth will not affect which connection is used.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi,

also be aware that "bandwidth" is used by CBWFQ and other QoS features. So as Rick already wrote, it is recommended to set the bandwidth to the realy bandwidth of an interface and use other parameters to influence routing decisions (delay, ospf cost, etc.).

Regards, Martin

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card