Views
Helpful
Replies

C1721 will not boot after IOS update

netserv
Level 1
Level 1

Hi;

I have a C1721 that I was trying to upgrade the IOS to allow for the new DST changes. Problem is, I added the new IOS, deleted the old IOS and rebooted the router thinking the bootstrap would find the new IOS and boot to it.

Well, I keep getting the following error.

Loadprog: bad file magic number: 0x0

Boot: cannot load ?flash:?

It then gives me a rommon> prompt. I did a dir flash: command and it shows my old IOS with a (deleted) tag after it in the first position. Here is the output in flash.

File size Checksum File name

12332180 bytes (0xbc2c94) 0x384f c1700-advsecurityk9-mz.123-11.T2.bin (deleted)

3885056 bytes (0x3b4800) 0x56dc sdm.tar

1545 bytes (0x609) 0xfc73 sdmconfig-1721.cfg

15332052 bytes (0xe9f2d4) 0x9959 c1700-advsecurityk9-mz.124-9.T2.bin

I really don?t need any of the files if I can get the router to boot to the new IOS in the fourth position.

I?m not sure what I need to do to get it to boot to the new IOS.

Thanks for any help

Netserv@wcsi

4 Replies 4

ahmednaas
Level 4
Level 4

Since you are stuck in rommom, I suggest that erase, squeeze or format the flash memory and reload the new ios image.

You can also try the following commands in your config (if you can get that far):

boot-start-marker

boot system flash c1700-advsecurityk9-mz.124-9.T2.bin

boot-end-marker

Thanks for the reply...

I did try to download a new image via tftpdnld command but I get an error for an invalad ip address. I think I read somewhere that the F/0 interface is inactive in rommon for the 1721.

I'm not sure how to erase/squeeze/format the flash from rommon. Any help there?

And also, to download a new image via xmodem. I'm not sure about the command. where do I put the image on the PC to make sure xmodem can get it and copy it to the router.

Thanks again for the help

netserv@wcsi

Thanks!!!

That link did the trick. I reloaded the image and all is well.

Thanks again,

Netserv@wcsi

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card