cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ciscoworks lms 2.5.1:topology map

diaration
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, i have running ciscoworks lms for managing a multi-sites network.Each site is connect to principal site via my service provider.I registry all my devices (routers, switch)in the lms but i don't have any information about service provider's devices that are connected at my devices.Can i view correctly in topology map all devices and links in my WAN network, or i just view topology in LAN network that contain the lms server?

regards!!!

3 Replies 3

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

In order for Campus Manager to work, it must be able to communicate with devices via SNMP, and CDP (or ILMI) must be running on all links to build the neighbor relationships.

So, in order to view your service provider's devices on the Topology Map, you must know the SNMP access credentials, and CDP must be enabled on the links between your edge devices, and the provider's devices.

Alternatively, if CDP is not enabled on those links, you can add the provider's devices into DCR manually, and they will show up in the Unconnected Devices view in Topology Services.

Ok, but i don't understand what does't mean: enable CDP on links.I always thought that CDP can be enabled only on devices but not on links.I think that these are not the links that one manages but the devices. Explain me if I am mistaken.

Thanks you!

If the connection to the remote site passes through Service Provider controlled routers that you cannot "See" via snmp and/or that do not have CDP activated then Campus cannot work out the topology.

Campus relies completely on CDP to workout any neighbor ship between devices. This is a limitation of the product any cisco is not yet willing to open up to alternatives.

Cheers,

Michel

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco