cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Generate an SNMP trap or syslog message on login/out

jwheat
Level 1
Level 1

I need to be able to generate either sn SNMP trap or a syslog message when ever someone logs into or out of a IOS router or switch. This is for successful logins.outs.

2 Replies 2

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

James

This has been a request many times from many people. And in release 12.3(4)T Cisco introduced enhancements that make this possible:

Logging messages can be generated for successful login requests via the new global configuration command login on-success; the login on-failure command generates logs for failed login requests.

For more information this link is very helpful:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6350/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a0080455b93.html

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Rick,

Thanks for the reply. My Cisco SE had informed me of the same new feature. It doesn't quite do what we want. It does not include the username of the person logging in, although there is a field for it, nor does it send a message when the user logs out. In addition, I wasn't able to get the "login on-failure" feature to work in the 12.2(35)SE switch code I was using to test.

Thanks again.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: