cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

MediaMaster - username, password, domain prompt (again)

glangham
Level 1
Level 1

I recently upgraded a Unity 4.0(4) running Win 2003 Server to Win 2003 Server SP1.

I ran into the DCOM problem described here: http://forums.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&forum=Unified%20Communications%20and%20Video&topic=Unified%20Communications%20Applications&CommCmd=MB%3Fcmd%3Ddisplay_location%26location%3D.1dd928df

I was able to resolve that problem.

I continue to receive the prompt for username, password, and domain every time the media master control is called upon (whether through ViewMail or the administration web pages.) This is happening with all users using Viewmail (with playback set to 'phone'.)

I have installed the latest Permissions Wizard. I ran the Wizard, and everything returned as "success", yet I continue to have the problem.

I have opened a TAC case, but so far, no luck.

Any other ideas on how to resolve this?

Thanks,

-g

5 Replies 5

Ginger Dillon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi -

We are running Unity 4.2(1). I am now seeing this happen, not all users, on two Unity servers for a couple subscribers. The subscribers are logging onto the PC with their Unity-enabled accounts. I have asked the PC Techs to ensure DCOM is enabled on the users' PCs, using MMC - Snap-in Component Services. Media master playback to phone is prompting for user logon credentials. I was going to call in a TAC case, but saw you had one open already. Any status on your case?

Thanks, Ginger

neesharm
Level 1
Level 1

when you are checking the subscriber or call handler screens on the Web administration interface.

This is expected behavior what is happening is that the client (whether it is SA, AA or VMO form) uses the media master ActiveX control (the one that you use to record prompts/greetings) to connect directly to the TRAP connection server to make the connection.

When using NTLM (aka Integrated Windows Authentication) authentication for the SA, the

ActiveX control will need to authenticate a 2nd time when the client and the Unity server

are in separate domains since it is not able to ?piggy back? on the NTLM challenge and

response authentication the user had to supply when first accessing the page, it needs its

own security token.

Is the computer you are logging in from on a separate domain that the Unity Server is at ?

If it is then there is no way we can change this, is just the way windows works with

authentication.

You can look at ways to disable the active X control

Hi -

Thanks for the clarification. The two users we are having the problem with ARE in the same domain as their Unity server. This is also not happening for all users, just one on one Unity server and two on another Unity server. I'm waiting to hear from the PC Techs checking the desktops to ensure DCOM is enabled and no firewalls etc. (using the Media Master troubleshooting section). The PC Tech has also rebuilt user profile (after deleting extend.dat and frmcache.dat) and even reinstalled ViewMail. I confirmed user account is same as Unity account. Thank you for your response.

Ginger

Hi all -

Here is an update - DCOM was not enabled on the user's workstation. Once enabled, no further authentication prompts. Unfortunately, we have 40+ departments in our County and this setting is not standardized on. I maintain a County-specific troubleshooting document for our PC Techs and will make sure this is added. This also needs to be enabled on the Unity server. Start MMC and add Snap-in Component services for local device. Expand Component Services, and click on Computers folder. Right-click My Computer and select Properties. On the Default Properties tab make sure Distributed COM is enabled (first check box). This is different than setting the Access permissions in DCOMCNFG, mentioned in first post.

Regards, Ginger

Dear Ginger I am experiencing the same issue, I am prompted user/password/domain when using Viewmail and I have to type the data of a user who has Administrator rights in the Unity server. If the user hasn't these rights it doesn't play the message. The user is in the same domain as Unity.

Unfortunately I am not an expert in computer settings and I can't understand very how did you solve the problem.

I would be very grateful if you could give me a more detailed description about what you did to solve this issue.

Best regards,

Amaia Lesta

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: