cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Adding 2 modules to a Cat 6509.

londint
Level 1
Level 1

To add the following to a LIVE Cat 6509.

WS-X6548-GE-TX= (CISCO manufactured Catalyst 6500 48-port fabric-enabled 10/100/1000 Module)

WS-X6748-SFP= (CISCO manufactured Catalyst 6500 48-port GigE Md fab-enbl (Req SFPs)

Is there any extra thing I need to do apart from slotting it. Any configuration changes? As I do not want to bring down the network especially the one with SFP.

Thanks

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Anand Narayana
Level 6
Level 6

No there is nothing you need to do on the switch, Cat 6509 is hot swappable, so you need not worry about inserting those modules on the slot of 6509. even you can add a new power supply when the switch is running with other power supply.

View solution in original post

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi

As previous poster said you can just slot them into the chassis. Only thing i would add is to ensure that your software version supports the blades.

Jon

Are you using slot 6 with a redundant supervisor ?.

If not you can use slot 6 or any of the other available slots with a 6509 chassis as there are no restrictions unlike the 6513 chassis.

HTH

Jon

4 Replies 4

Anand Narayana
Level 6
Level 6

No there is nothing you need to do on the switch, Cat 6509 is hot swappable, so you need not worry about inserting those modules on the slot of 6509. even you can add a new power supply when the switch is running with other power supply.

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi

As previous poster said you can just slot them into the chassis. Only thing i would add is to ensure that your software version supports the blades.

Jon

Thank you guys

Do they have to go in any particular slots.

We have Sup 720 which I know had to go to Slot 5 and Slot 6. Do we have restrictions for these slots?.

Are you using slot 6 with a redundant supervisor ?.

If not you can use slot 6 or any of the other available slots with a 6509 chassis as there are no restrictions unlike the 6513 chassis.

HTH

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card