Views
Helpful
Replies

Authentication with Windows 2003 server

wladimirpausin
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there,

I am looking for achieve this task. I would like to know How I could authenticate users accesing by my wireless network? I mean in windows 2003 server. They must type their username and password. I want to restricted users which are not on the list to access by my wireless network. I know that in windows 2000 I could use radius server. Could I use it here?.

Also, I guess that I have to allow these "new users" in AD.

I am looking forward to read helpfull information here and of course I will give it a rate (points)

Any ideas are welcome.

Thanks

Wladimir

3 Replies 3

acomiskey
Level 10
Level 10

Same thing for 2003, it is called IAS (Internet Authentication Service).

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/network/ias/default.mspx

Basically you will set up IAS with a RADIUS Client which would be your wireless access point(s). Then you will set up a remote access policy which will define how connections are authorized or rejected (windows groups, protocols etc.). Don't forget to register IAS with active directory.

ok thanks for the answer. The link is very useful.

Now, I don't know which is the best practice to install IAS server. Do you think it could be install in Domain Controler or another server?. What do you recomend me?

Wladimir

I think it might have to be installed on the domain controller but I'm not sure about that. I've never seen a best practice on the subject, but I can't think of any reasons why it would be better to have it on a separate server. If you have a secondary domain controller, you can install it there as well with duplicate configuration. You can then have backup in case your primary fails.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: