Views
Helpful
Replies

877 and PPTP termination

jamiewalmsley
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

i am currently trying to setup a PPTP VPN termination on a 877, using a single locally defined user.

version of IOS used:

(C870-ADVIPSERVICESK9-M), Version 12.4(6)T5, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

when i try and connect usign the built in windows XP client, it freezes on

"verifying username and password" and then just times out, so it is actually connecting- its not a access control problem. i can also telnet to the port externally.

so this leads me to believe its most likely an authorization problem, so if anybody could take a look at my config (mostly generated via SDM with certain bits added manually)

ive added the relevent bits of my config as an attachment.

many thanks,

Jamie Walmsley

2 Replies 2

Kamal Malhotra
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Jamie,

A few things :

1. Please make sure that the access-list called "sdm_dialer0_in" has GRE permitted.

2. Please make sure that the Win XP client has PAP, CHAP and MS-CHAP enabled in the security tab of properties.

3. Please try using the optional encryption on the client.

4. Try to select PPTP VPN in the Networking tab if it is set to auto.

5. Try disabling the XP firewall temporarily. If it is successful only after disabling the firewall then you should allow this traffic. TCP 1723 and GRE.

HTH,

Please rate if it helps.

Regards,

Thanks for the quick reply,

i will check that GRE is permitted,

i have PAP, CHAP and MS-CHAP enabled and have tried using encryption, and have the client set to PPTP, and do not run the XP firewall.

i will continue trying out the various settings on the client.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: