6513-A(config)#vlan 33

6513-A(config-vlan)#no shut

VLAN 33 is not shutdown.

6513-A(config-vlan)#state active

6513-A(config-vlan)#exit

VLAN 1003 parent VLAN missing

APPLY VLAN changes failed.

6513-A(config)#

I have never seen this issue, can someone guide me as to what I may need to do?

I have attached the show vlan output.

Thanks,

Mike

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mike,

No its not case, you will be able to save the vlans both in VTP 1 and 2. The most common reason for the error that we have is if you have vtp version 2 configured and you have some other switches in the domain running vtp version 1.In this situation switch will not allow you add the vlans in the database. Just change the VTP version to 1 and it should solve it.

-amit singh

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Amit Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Mike,

It seems like that you are running VTP version 2 on the switch and that's why you are getting this error. Vlan 1003 is the token ring vlan ID.You dont need to run VTP V2 if you are not running token ring and disabling the VTP V2 will not loose out anything.Disable the VTP V2 on the switch and you will be fine with it.

HTH,Please rate if it does.

-amit singh

Does that mean I can't save changes to vlans if I run VTP V2?

Mike

Mike,

No its not case, you will be able to save the vlans both in VTP 1 and 2. The most common reason for the error that we have is if you have vtp version 2 configured and you have some other switches in the domain running vtp version 1.In this situation switch will not allow you add the vlans in the database. Just change the VTP version to 1 and it should solve it.

-amit singh

That work great.

Thanks,

Mike

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card