MBSSIDs on 871w. How?

Unanswered Question
Mar 7th, 2007

Hi! According to http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps380/products_data_sheet0900aecd8028a976.html my 871w supports two MBSSIDs, so I could give both of my wlans a different broadcasted name.

I have a current c870-advipservicesk9-mz.124-11.T1.bin on it, but I am not capable of enabling the MBSSID with 'dot 11 mbssid' Can someone help me?

Thanks in advance!

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 4 (1 ratings)
rob.huffman Wed, 03/07/2007 - 15:58

Hi Ardjan,

Have you tried this method?

CLI Configuration Example

This example shows the CLI commands that you use to enable multiple BSSIDs on a radio interface, create an SSID called visitor, designate the SSID as a BSSID, specify that the BSSID is included in beacons, set a DTIM period for the BSSID, and assign the SSID visitor to the radio interface:

router(config)# interface dot11 0

router(config-if)# mbssid

router(config-if)# exit

router(config)# dot11 ssid visitor

router(config-ssid)# mbssid guest-mode

router(config-ssid)# exit

router(config)# interface dot11 0

router(config-if)# ssid visitor

Requirements for Configuring Multiple BSSIDs

To configure multiple BSSIDs, your access points must meet these minimum requirements:

VLANs must be configured

Access points must run Cisco IOS Release 12.4(6th)T or later

Access points must contain an 802.11a or 802.11g radio that supports multiple BSSIDs. To determine whether a radio supports multiple basic SSIDs, enter the show controllers radio_interface command. The radio supports multiple basic SSIDs if the results include this line:

Number of supported simultaneous BSSID on radio_interface:

From this good doc;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps5853/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a008067e9f6.html

Hope this helps!

Rob

ArdjanCisco Thu, 03/08/2007 - 10:28

No, sorry, it didn't work.

My facts:

* I have IOS 12.4(11)T1

* According to the link in my first post, my Router 871w is capable of two MBSSIDs

* I have VLANs configured

So, I guessed it could be possible to broadcast both my SSIDs (one private with WPA-PSK, one 'guest' with WEP, with some ACLs between them)...

Thanks anyway.

rob.huffman Fri, 03/09/2007 - 05:57

Hi Ardjan,

What do you see when you enter the show controllers radio_interface command? The radio supports multiple basic SSIDs if the results include this line:

Number of supported simultaneous BSSID on radio_interface X

Rob

Actions

This Discussion