Views
Helpful
Replies

grouping devices together in MARS

randytoni
Level 1
Level 1

hi - here's the question:

Under IP management I created a "Device Group" and added a bunch of routers into the group (they are all set up as IOS reporting devices).

When I define a query or rule and fill in the Device Field, the new group is not available. It does show up in the drop list when I fill in either the source IP or destination IP fields.

It would be very helpful to be able to query on a group of reporting devices - otherwise it's almost painful at times. Am I missing something obvious?

thanks

-randy

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

mhellman
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Randy. You're not missing something obvious, what you're seeing is normal for CSMARS. You may have also noticed that the device grouping doesn't really do anything other then limit the list of items to select from. IOW if you later add a device to this group, it doesn't automatically get added to the query/report/rule. This is really what I want out of grouping. My understanding is the this functionality is coming though.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

mhellman
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Randy. You're not missing something obvious, what you're seeing is normal for CSMARS. You may have also noticed that the device grouping doesn't really do anything other then limit the list of items to select from. IOW if you later add a device to this group, it doesn't automatically get added to the query/report/rule. This is really what I want out of grouping. My understanding is the this functionality is coming though.

thanks for the sanity check. nice to know I'm not losing it (completely) but I'm very disappointed with this limitation

currently not much value in using this function at all.

thanks again...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: