Company inclination toward CCIE Lab funding

Unanswered Question
Mar 7th, 2007

Hello, Cisco professionals.

Before I ask my question, let me give a bit of background which might influence the answers:

Until last year I was an industrial sanitation foreman. Following my plant's closure, the State offered to fund vocational training in any locally-in-demand occupation. I chose 'network tech' on the advice of an acquaintance.

"I owe the guy," doesn't adequately cover my gratitude. I LOVE this field! I jumped into the Netacad program last April and have since completed my CCNA, CCNP, and this Saturday passed the -IE r/s written. Nine months remain in my program and I'd like to find an internship or work-study in the industry while working on the CCSP, MCSE and IE r/s Lab prep.

What I'm asking for now are reports from others who are or have been in my situation about what various sizes/types of companies' reactions have been when they've been asked to underwrite lab attempts by entry-level employees who are able to demonstrate their preparedness.

I'm considering focusing instead on assisting my instructor with a publishing project for a couple months, but sooner or later I'll seek an internship and I'd like to direct a partial eye toward who's likely to encourage an attempt at completing my certification. I've heard such mixed messages on the topic that I decided to ask here.

Thanks in advance!

- Enthusiastic Cisco Student

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
dgahm Thu, 03/08/2007 - 15:35

Jeff,

In general, companies that will fund lab attempts are those who receive a direct benefit from having CCIEs on staff. Resellers and integrators who are Cisco silver or gold partners are required to have CCIEs on staff, so you might look in that direction. The problem with having a company pay your way is that you have some obligation to hang around afterwards. If you pay out of your own pocket you will be free to explore the CCIE job market.

Dave

kevin.hu Fri, 03/09/2007 - 10:24

Jeff,

Just think it as an investment and don't wait for the company to pay for you. Once you pass the exam, all kinds of doors will open for you and you will be glad that you invest in this.

Kevin

Actions

This Discussion