DDNS on a dialer (PPPoE) interface

Unanswered Question
Mar 7th, 2007

Hi,

We are trying to implement ddns on our virtual WAN interface and aren't having any luck. I've scoured google for the debug messages we're getting, and don't seem to have an answer.

We have a defined http update method as follows:

ip ddns update method zoneedit

HTTP

add http ://user : pass @dynamic.zoneedit.com/auth/dynamic.html?host/auth/dynamic.html?host=<h>&dnsto=< a >

interval 0 0 10 0

#Low interval for testing

On our Dialer interface, we've added:

ip ddns update hostname support.ourdomain.com

ip ddns update zoneedit

We were getting blocked at first (we thought) and added an acl to allow WWW to any host from http://www.zoneedit.com, etc. but are still getting a time out message:

HTTPDNSUPD: Call returned Response time out for update support.ourdomain.com <=> 1.2.3.4 (new IP assigned by SBC)

Anyone get this to work with PPPoE?

Thanks much for any suggestions!

I have this problem too.
0 votes
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Loading.
k-brackley Thu, 03/08/2007 - 08:10

Thanks. I have all of that, I think the same as noted. I don't have the Vlan1...can you explain this for me? I don't have a Vlan1 interface defined at all.

I see where we try to update, but I still get the timed out response error...

[quote]

000405: Mar 7 22:55:47.355 CST: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface Dialer1, changed state to up

000406: Mar 7 22:55:47.355 CST: DYNUPD: SWIF comingup 'Dialer1'

000407: Mar 7 22:56:02.627 CST: %DIALER-6-BIND: Interface Vi3 bound to profile Di1

000408: Mar 7 22:56:02.635 CST: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface Virtual-Access3, changed state to up

000409: Mar 7 22:56:05.711 CST: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Virtual-Access3, changed state to up

000410: Mar 7 22:56:05.711 CST: DYNUPD: SWIF comingup 'Virtual-Access3'

000411: Mar 7 22:56:06.255 CST:

000413: Mar 7 22:56:07.947 CST: DYNDNSUPD: Adding DNS mapping for thisrouter.mydomain.com <=> 72.144.49.29

000414: Mar 7 22:56:07.947 CST: HTTPDNS: Update add called for thisrouter.mydomain.com <=> 72.144.49.29

000415: Mar 7 22:56:07.951 CST: HTTPDNSUPD: Session ID = 0x13

000416: Mar 7 22:56:07.951 CST: HTTPDNSUPD: URL = 'http : //user:[email protected]/auth/dynamic.html?host=thisrouter.mydomain.com&dnsto=72.144.149.29'

000417: Mar 7 22:56:07.951 CST: HTTPDNSUPD: Sending request

000421: Mar 7 22:56:23.051 CST: HTTPDNSUPD: Call returned Response time out for update thisrouter.mydomain.com <=> 72.144.149.29

000422: Mar 7 22:56:23.051 CST: DYNDNSUPD: Another update completed (outstanding=0, total=0)

000423: Mar 7 22:56:23.055 CST: HTTPDNSUPD: Clearing all session 19 info

[/quote]

k-brackley Thu, 03/08/2007 - 15:20

NEW information...update...

It appears to be a Zoneedit thing. There obviously needs to be more debugging information as the responses don't show what is really happening.

I created a test account on dyndns.org, and can get ddns on IOS to work fine. Zoneedit just does not work for me, even though the URL, if typed in a browser, works.

Danilo Dy Thu, 03/08/2007 - 16:32

I don't know a bout Zoneedit, but so far I don't hear people complaining about Dyndns

k-brackley Fri, 03/09/2007 - 08:23

Because I've been using zoneedit for about 7 or 8 years now, and all of my domains are with them. Obviously, if I want to use Cisco IOS ddns, I don't appear to have a choice, but I'm not moving years worth of DNS infrastructure and service just to let the tail wag the dog. Our linksys and netgear routers that do ddns work fine with the http updates to Zoneedit.

I just wish Cisco had more debugging options to try and capture return codes and responses from the connection to see what may be going wrong. Something still could be wrong with how we scripted things, but I guess we'll never know.

From our searches, I don't think we've found anyone that has been able to get Cisco's DDNS to work with Zoneedit.

Actions

This Discussion