Views
Helpful
Replies

no ip redirect with route-map

nedian123
Level 1
Level 1

Dear all,

I wanted to know that if i could apply "no ip redirect" on Fast eth interface(fa0/1) as well as a route-map which is setting next-hop of a particular traffic & that next hop is reachable via same interface on which route-map & no ip redirect has been applied.

int fa 0/1

ip add 192.168.1.2 255.255.255.0

no ip redirects

ip policy route-map xyz

route-map xyz permit 5

match ip address abc

set ip next-hop 192.168.1.10

ip access-list extended abc

permit ip host 1.1.1.1 host 2.2.2.2

The problem which i am facing is that all traffic's is being sent to 192.168.1.10......is this happening just b/c of "no ip redirects"...

Cheers,

Akhtar

4 Replies 4

jarvar832004
Level 1
Level 1

Akhtar

What is the default next hop for any traffic to reach the destination ? If the default next hop is also the same interface as that of the route map next hop, then there is no use in using the route map as all traffic that obeys the condition as well as those that dont will be put on the same interface. The no ip redirect will only help in not routing the traffic directly to the 192.168.1.10 interface but through the 192.168.1.2, hence this may not be causing the issue.

jarvar,

default route is reachable through a different interface.

Regards,

Akhtar

radiohead23
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

yes you can use 'no ip redirects' with a route map. the router just wont send icmp redirects to the device it got the packet from, but the route map will work just fine. i think u need to check the ip routes and ip cache on the device thats sending the traffic to 2.2.2.2 (which you want your route map to handle). i dont know the exact scenario....but i presume all the three devices involved in this setup are on the same physical ethernet segment. try disabling proxy-arp as well.

take care.

jarvar832004
Level 1
Level 1

try taking a trace result from the host and the router to the destination intended and paste the results

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: