secureCRT in RTP?

Answered Question
Mar 8th, 2007

Does anyone know what version of secureCRT they are using for the R&S lab in RTP? I'd like to play with it at least a little before the exam date. I don't think asking or answering this would violate the NDA. If it would, then just disregard it please. Thank you.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
keegan.holley Sun, 03/11/2007 - 11:30

I'm not sure but they are pretty much all the same as far as the functions you want to learn. I' haven't taken the lab yet, but I use SecureCRT alot at work. The most useful functions are the clone session option and tabbed views (useful if they use aa jump server). Also, it uses the unix copy and paste keys, ctrl-insert and shift-insert instead of ctrl-c and ctrl-v. You may also want to set the scroll back buffer to the highest value, as I think it's 500 by default. Learning how to start a new session or a sved session using the menu bar buttons will speed things up a bit as well. If you download the trial and start using it you should be able to learn it fairly quickly.

HTH,

Keegan

jcrussell Mon, 03/12/2007 - 07:49

Thanks everyone. I have been playing with the beta for 5.5, and tabs rock. I have done 2 practice labs, one with individual windows and one with tabs. I guess I'll just go back to individual windows. :(

pcuervo123 Tue, 03/13/2007 - 04:45

And how do you manage to have each device in a different window? I'm connected to the terminal server through the serial connection and it's not possible. I guess you telnet the terminal server, is this right? My terminal server 2511 has only 5 vty lines so I cannot open as many sessions as I need.

Let me know

jcrussell Tue, 03/13/2007 - 05:54

On my lab I built at work, my access server (CMS-16) has 16 lines. I just telnet to port 21XX to go directly to the console. When I want to go to device 3, I telnet to port 2103 of the device.

On the rack I rent online, I just log in with a username that corresponds to the specific device. I am then taken to the console of said device. So I just open 1 window for every device, telnet to the address, and log in once for each device.

pcuervo123 Tue, 03/13/2007 - 06:43

Ok, the difference between your CMS-16 and my 2511 is that yours has 16 telnet lines and the mine just 5.

When you say you telnet to port 21XX to go directly to the console, do you mean you type it on the DOS prompt or on the CMS-16 console propmt? Which is the telnet address of your CMS-16, 2100?

jcrussell Tue, 03/13/2007 - 07:28

Here is my CMS-16: http://www.wti.com/cms.htm The MSRP is $1300, so I got lucky that my company already has one!

It is designed with 16 connections. I can telnet just to the address of the CMS (10.109.9.1). From there, I can do a "/c " to connect to a line. Or, I can telnet to the specific line (telnet 10.109.9.1 2105, for example).

Actions

This Discussion