cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity with two Exchange servers in two domains

jilundain
Level 1
Level 1

I would like to know if Unity can handle two different Exchange servers when each belongs to a different Active Directory domain. Does anyone have a setup like this? Thank you,

8 Replies 8

Tommer Catlin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I don't believe this is a supported model from Cisco to use Unity in this matter. Even if you had a trust built between the two domains for authentication purposes, you still could not access to AD attributes needed to run Unity. Schema updates in AD point to the Unity server and vice versa, so this is where having two domains probably will not work.

Grab this book and it will go over the support models of deplyment indepth. If it's not in this book, it's not supported. ;)

http://www.amazon.com/Cisco-Deployment-Solutions-Networking-Technology/dp/1587051184

As mentioned in the above post, Unity can only interact with Exchange servers within the same forest. You cannot have the Exchange servers in different forests communicate. The only option here would be to add the users as Internet Subscribers where the msgs are being sent as a wav file attached to the email.

With Exchange 2000/2003 you can actually create a disabled mailbox account in AD and associate it with another account in an external forest, which allows users in different forests or domains to be given access to mailboxes in an Exchange server located in another forest.

In theory this would work as long as the routing-group connectors are in place for both Exchange servers.

I would like some input from someone who is familiar with the way Unity handles the multiple Exchange scenario (i.e. routing traffic through the designated partner Exchange server).

Thank you,

I am interested in the Integrated Messaging using IMAP to setup a cluster of Unity to support exchange servers from different companies.

Do I loose any unity functionality setting up this way? Can users still retrieve voice messages from their IP Phone and can listen to .wav files from their outlook clients.

Please can you point me to the Cisco link for such a setup?

Thanks

They can still listen to their voicemail on the phones. IMAP does add some admin support in Outlook. Basically, you have Outlook attached to an Exchange server. Then you have to ADD a new mail account for the IMAP account to Unity. (for every person with VM). It places the voicemails in personal folders on their Outlook profiles locally on their computers.

Still plays, forwards, etc.

Please is there a Cisco link in setting this up that I can look at

Ginger Dillon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hello -

Have read other posts - even if the domains are in the same AD forest, I suspect the Exchange servers are in different Exchange administrative groups? Please clarify if this is so. We have one AD forest with multiple domains and Exchange administrative groups. At minimum, you will need one Unity server for each Exchange administrative group (routing group). If you have multiple domains, but all use the same email administrative group, one Unity server can handle these. We are doing a combination of both deployments.

Ginger

Hi Ginger,

Yes, the Exchange servers are in different admin groups.

It sounds like the key factor is that a single Unity instance can handle exactly one Exchange admin group. Is that correct?

Thank you for your help,

jaime

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: