cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WCS Linux or Windows

NPT_2
Level 2
Level 2

We are looking at implimenting WCS with a wireless controller and a few dozen 1200 series AP's. Which is the best route to go Linux or Windows for WCS? Is there any real differance in functionality between the two? I am leaning towards linux for it higher stability, but have more experience runnign windows.

4 Replies 4

ericgarnel
Level 7
Level 7

It really does not matter as far as the app goes, but Linux will allow you to tailor the server load better.

For example: You can run the OS without the gui

aka: headless, thus reducing the # of processes

running on the server - allowing more resources for the WCS app.

laaustin
Level 1
Level 1

If you're willing to gain more experience/exposure with Linux, I recommend that route... You get the opportunity for a cleaner environment (as indicated in another post) and as a result, I believe a more responsive service since you can eliminate unneeded processes such as the graphical services (speaking of the X Server on the WCS host) - but still run graphical client software for remote display (say to your desktop), if needed.

Thanks for the information, I think I am going to go the Linux route. What is the cheapest way to buy the Enterprise version of Red Hat for use with WCS? I see on Red Hats site they have many options with various support from Red Hat, is there a way to buy just the software without the support from red hat?

Take a look at www.centos.org

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card