cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WCS Linux or Windows

NPT_2
Level 2
Level 2

We are looking at implimenting WCS with a wireless controller and a few dozen 1200 series AP's. Which is the best route to go Linux or Windows for WCS? Is there any real differance in functionality between the two? I am leaning towards linux for it higher stability, but have more experience runnign windows.

4 Replies 4

ericgarnel
Level 7
Level 7

It really does not matter as far as the app goes, but Linux will allow you to tailor the server load better.

For example: You can run the OS without the gui

aka: headless, thus reducing the # of processes

running on the server - allowing more resources for the WCS app.

laaustin
Level 1
Level 1

If you're willing to gain more experience/exposure with Linux, I recommend that route... You get the opportunity for a cleaner environment (as indicated in another post) and as a result, I believe a more responsive service since you can eliminate unneeded processes such as the graphical services (speaking of the X Server on the WCS host) - but still run graphical client software for remote display (say to your desktop), if needed.

Thanks for the information, I think I am going to go the Linux route. What is the cheapest way to buy the Enterprise version of Red Hat for use with WCS? I see on Red Hats site they have many options with various support from Red Hat, is there a way to buy just the software without the support from red hat?

Take a look at www.centos.org

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: