cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

OSPF: Stub network with p2p links

karukuma
Level 1
Level 1

I have a topology A---B---C--D with OSPF running on all the routers.

B-----C is a point-2-point link.

I see that p2p link is considered as ?stub network? irrespective of router A/D running OSPF.

Logically it looks like a transit network. I see that p2p links are always stub network. Can anyone let me know the rationale behind displaying p2p as stub networks always.

===========Sample Output===========

ml1-242-12#sh ip ospf database router

OSPF Router with ID (10.10.11.10) (Process ID 1)

Router Link States (Area 0)

LS age: 1442

Options: (No TOS-capability, DC)

LS Type: Router Links

Link State ID: 10.10.11.10

Advertising Router: 10.10.11.10

LS Seq Number: 80000031

Checksum: 0xB9E1

Length: 72

Number of Links: 4

Link connected to: another Router (point-to-point)

(Link ID) Neighboring Router ID: 10.10.12.10

(Link Data) Router Interface address: 10.10.11.10

Number of TOS metrics: 0

TOS 0 Metrics: 1

Link connected to: a Stub Network

(Link ID) Network/subnet number: 10.10.11.0

(Link Data) Network Mask: 255.255.255.0

Number of TOS metrics: 0

TOS 0 Metrics: 1

2 Replies 2

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

KARUN

I wonder if you are getting confused by the different meaning of stub network between EIGRP and OSPF. In EIGRP a stub router is a router with no dynamic neighbors behind it. But that is not what OSPF is describing when it labels a network as stub. In OSPF a stub network is a network that will not have any hosts on the network and has only routers. That is what a point to point link is, there are no hosts but only routers. That is why OSPF labels it as a stub network.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi,

This is the definition for "Stub networks" in Jeff doyle.

"Stub networks have only a single attached router. Packets on a stub network always have either a source or a destination address belonging to that network. That is, all packets were either originated by a device on the network or are destined for a device on the network. "

My confusion is with the statement "Packets on a stub network always have either a source or a destination address belonging to that network"

As in the scenario I have mentioned the p2p link can definately behave like a Trasit n/w.

One more point I see is that if I have a n/w

A----B---C---D----|

Where the D----| is an ethernet link to a LAN segment to some hosts, OSPF states D---| as a Stub network. So "there are no hosts but only routers" is not entirely true.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card