cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How do I keep breaking SC0??

jpeletz
Level 1
Level 1

I have a habit of installing a new switch into my network and Keep breaking my SC0 setup. Here is what I mean. I configure and install a switch. I set up trunking on the uplink and I can't get to SC0 with it set to VLAN 1. I have to set it to the VLAN that the ports are set to. I know it should work set to Vlan 1 so, How do I keep breaking it???

5 Replies 5

mheusinger
Level 10
Level 10

Hi,

a VLAN is meant to separate traffic, so only "ports" associated with the same VLAN can communicate. If your SC0 "port" is in a different VLAN than your PC then no communication is possible without the help of a router.

Assign your PC access port to VLAN 1 (infact it is in VLAN 1 per factory default), make sure the (sub)network and mask are the same and you should get connectivity.

If you are not attached to VLAN 1 you should NOT get connectivity. You can look at it as a security feature, user ports should not even be allowed to access Switch login.

So it is not a bug, it is a feature!

Regards, Martin

Thanks Martin, I guess I didn't explain my problem well. I have multiple switches in which I trunk the uplink. SC0 on these switches is set to VLAN 1. Here is where I messed Up. When I telnet into the switch from a remote location or try and ping the switch IP address, I get no response. If I set SC0 to the Vlan that the ports are configured at, I am able to get a response from the switch. My understanding is that I should be able to get to the switch with SC0 set to Vlan 1 due to trunking. I am guessing I am doing something wrong or out of sequence when I set up the VTP Domain Or the Trunking Link....

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Sounds like you do not have trunking setup on the uplink and it is an access port . The uplink would have to be a trunk if you want a separate management domain . Also vlan 1 would have to have a definition on your layer 3 device that is doing the routing . Also your default gateway would have to point to that vlan 1 router address , "set ip route default " Hi Joe .

Hi Glenn my friend!

Here is the Switch side:

sh trunk

* - indicates vtp domain mismatch

# - indicates dot1q-all-tagged enabled on the port

Port Mode Encapsulation Status Native vlan

-------- ----------- ------------- ------------ -----------

3/33 on dot1q trunking 1

Here is the Router Side:

Sh trunk

Port Mode Encapsulation Status

6/2 on dot1q trunking 1

6/2 is the router port to the switch and here is the VLans:

Port Vlans allowed and active in management domain

-------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------

3/33 1,7,426,428,435-437,445,469,484,530,545,602,900-901,979,989,991-992,997-999

Here is my route command:(I have put xxx where my gateway is security reasons you know..)

set ip route 0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0

xxx.xxx.xxx.254

I hope this information helps...

Glen, Thanks for making me think...(What a Dummy I am) I found my problem and I am too embarrassed to publish it..

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card