Views
Helpful
Replies

Can't appear to get routing working on a 2621 router

Jmorgan1413_2
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am trying to set up a router to route between 2 subnets. Unfortunately they are 2 different segments of the same class c and I guess this is why I am having trouble.

I have attached my router configuration.

I can not seem to ping from a workstation attached to the ethernet 1 interface on this box to anything beyond the Ethernet 0 interface. Any ideas?

I have a visio drawing of what I am trying to do if that would help.

Thanks

John

4 Replies 4

John,

Your configuration looks alright. You don't need routes as both interfaces are directly connected to the 2621. You don't need the default gateway command in there as that's only needed for non-routing devices.

Can you check whether the workstation and the devices connected to e0 are using the respective router interface IP address as their default gateway. That's, very likely, where the problem might be.

HTH

Sundar

Hi Sundr,

Ethernet 0? No they are not. Perhaps the accompanying Visio drawing will show you better what I am trying to do.

We only have control over the test router, not the outside router. We are going to have the folks in charge of the outside router put in a static route for us, but they have not done that yet. Is that necessary for the ping command I am issuing to work?

From the test PC I can ping 199.222.135.225 and 199.222.135.105. I can't ping anything beyond that. Is that because there is no route configured in the outside router?

If the outside router does not have a route for 199.222.135.224/28 then it will not know where to send the pings it is receiving. Also nothing in the 199.222.135.1/25 network will know where the test network is as well. If this a new setup and test environment then the outside router probably doesn't have a route back and you will need one added.

Michael

You are correct. The outside router needs a route to get to the network your PC is residing on.

Actually, there's a way you can get to the outside router/network from your PC without having to add a static route on the outside router. Configure NAT as follows on your test router and all traffic from your subnet would appear as having sourced from f0/0 of the test router. This is an option for you.

ip nat inside source list 100 interface f0/0 overload

access-list 100 permit ip 199.222.135.224 0.0.0.15 any

int f0/1

ip nat inside

int f0/0

ip nat outside

HTH

Sundar

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco