cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Last-min DST gotcha: Is LMS affected by this Sun JRE bug?

yjdabear
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=6530336

Does LMS 2.2 or 2.6 need another patch on top of the current DST patch (JRE 1.4.2_12)?

7 Replies 7

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

We are evaluating the full effect on LMS, but one easy way of mitigating this somewhat is to make sure you are not using one of EST, MST, or HST timezones on your server. For example, on Solaris, check /etc/TIMEZONE to make sure TZ is not set to one of these values.

Besides the server timezone, syslog messages that are tagged with either one of the timezones EST, MST, or HST will be affected. However, since DST is just beginning, messages should show up with EDT, MDT, or HDT. As a workaround, you can remove the timezone files, EST, MST, and HST under NMSROOT/lib/jre/lib/zi, then restart dmgtd.

We will be releasing an official patch for LMS 2.6 when it becomes available. LMS 3.0 will not be affected when it is released.

Thanks for the timely info. I'm running LMS 2.2. The server's /etc/TIMEZONE has TZ=US/Eastern configured. I don't find a $NMSROOT/lib/jre/lib/ directory or a "zi" file under $NMSROOT/lib/jre2/lib/ so I'm not able to implement the workaround. Will there be an official patch for LMS 2.2 as well?

In RME 3.5, I'm seeing Syslog Analysis displaying timestamps one hour ahead of what's received by the syslog server (Solaris built-in). Is this manifestation of this particular Sun JRE bug?

Also, in Analyze ANI Server (Campus Manager 3.3), it shows

-- listing properties --

java.runtime.name=Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Stand...

sun.boot.library.path=/product/CSCO/CSCOpx/campus/jre/lib/s...

java.vm.version=1.3.1_18-b01

user.dir=/product/CSCO/CSCOpx/objects/dmgt

java.runtime.version=1.3.1_18-b01

Does this need a DST patch?

LMS 2.2 is not affected. Only JVM 1.4.2 is affected, and only LMS 2.5+ uses this version.

Any idea why in RME 3.5's Syslog Analysis the timestamps jumped directly from 1:59AM EST to 4:00AM EDT, one hour ahead of what's received by the syslog server (Solaris built-in)? Does the JRE 1.4.2_12 on the client PC (prompted download from LMS 2.2 after applying DST patch) play a role?

Do new messages arriving now still have a one hour discrepancy? If so, try restarting the SyslogAnalyzer daemon, and see if the time resyncs.

I restarted dmgtd yesterday shortly after seeing the timestamps being one-hour ahead. I suppose that might have unintentionally made Syslog Analysis sync up the time, because indeed the timestamps are in sync with what the syslog server displays.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: