cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Device Profile Default [Default Phone type]

sohaildxbfze
Level 1
Level 1

When I click "Add a New User Device Profile" the default device type comes 7960'.

How can I change this behavior

any help is apprciated

7 Replies 7

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Sohail,

You should be able to create "default device profiles" for other phone models like 7941's and 7961's, have a look;

With Cisco CallManager 4.0 or later, you configure a clusterwide device profile default for each model of Cisco IP Phone that you want to support Cisco CallManager Extension Mobility. The phone takes on the device profile default whenever a user logs in to a phone model for which the user has no user device profile.

To add a device profile default for a phone model, perform the following procedure.

Procedure

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Step 1 From Cisco CallManager Administration, choose Device > Device Settings > Device Profile Default.

The Device Profile Default Configuration window displays.

Step 2 Click the Add a New Device Profile Default link. From the Device Type drop-down list box, choose the device (such as a Cisco IP Phone) to which a profile gets created.

Step 3 From the User Hold Audio Source field, choose from the drop-down list box to specify the audio source that plays when a user initiates a hold action.

If you do not choose an audio source, Cisco CallManager uses the audio source that is defined in the device pool or, if the device pool does not specify an audio source ID, the system default.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tip You define audio sources in the Music On Hold Audio Source Configuration window. For access, choose Service > Music On Hold.

Step 4 At the User Locale drop-down list box, choose the locale that is associated with the phone user interface.

The user locale identifies a set of detailed information, including language and font, to support users. Cisco CallManager makes this field available only for phone models that support localization.

Note If no user locale is specified, Cisco CallManager uses the user locale that is associated with the device pool.

Step 5 At the Phone Button Template field, choose the appropriate phone button template. The phone button template determines the configuration of the softkeys on Cisco IP Phones. Leave this field blank if the device pool contains the assigned softkey template.

Step 6 If the phone model supports the Cisco IP Phone Expansion Module 7914, Cisco CallManager displays the expansion module field.

a. At the Module 1 drop-down list box choose one or zero 7914 14-button expansion module.

b. At the Module 2 drop-down list box, choose one or zero 7914 14-button expansion module.

Step 7 To configure Multilevel Precedence and Preemption (MLPP) information:

Step 8 Click Insert.

The device profile displays in the Device Profile Default pane.

Step 9 Click the Subscribe/Unsubscribe Services link to add the Cisco Extension Mobility service to this profile.

The Subscribe Cisco IP Phone services window displays.

Step 10 From the Select a Service drop-down list box, choose the service that you added in the "Adding the Cisco Extension Mobility Service" section.

Step 11 Click Continue.

The window displays the service that you chose.

Step 12 Click Subscribe.

The service displays in the Subscribed Services list.

From this doc;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_administration_guide_chapter09186a008055af4c.html#wp1209085

Hope this helps!

Rob

Appreciate your effort. but THing is...

default device profiles are there when I click Add a new device profile the value in the dropdown combo is always 7960, i want to change this behavior!!!!!

Sohail,

That is a database query that is being presented back, you won't be able to change the presentation of this. It will provide back whatever your version of CallManager supports, the top most phone type is 7960.

Now if this isn't answering your question please explain this further. I'm assuming you aren't actually speaking of the Device Profile Default tab but actually the Device Profile->Add a New User Device Profile.

Rob, definitely points for the post above for the effort and in-depth description of adding device defaults.

Please rate any helpful posts

Thanks

Fred

Hey Fred,

Looks like I didn't read that too well did I.

Thanks for your nice comment (and 5 points to boot :)

By the way, I don't remeber the CCIE designation before (if this is something new, then I must pass along my congrats on this great achievement)

Thanks again Fred, and keep up the great work!

Rob

Rob,

Thanks man. Yeah I just passed in the beginning of March, so it's still new to me and feels good.

Thanks again.

Fred

I wrote in my post

"When I click """Add a New User Device Profile""" the default device type comes 7960'.

anyway i understand that v cant amend query in ccm, but there should a mechanism which should detect the attached device & exhibit the attributes for the same

Thx All..

Sohail,

I'm really struggling to see the problem here and think we have miscommunication on what you are trying to accomplish. When you add a new Device Profile it doesn't default to a specific type, meaning it doesn't populate a button template or set device specific settings. The only thing it does is have by default in the Device Type drop down list 'Cisco 7960'. I guess it would be annoying if the only thing you were adding is 7940s but it is really an uncommon request.

Now as far as detecting device specific settings, CCM does. That is what the Default Device Profiles. These will be used if you log into a IP Phone that you don't have a specific individual user device profile for.

Here is the documenation blurb on it.

Use the device profile default for whenever a user logs on to a phone model for which no user device profile exists. To create a device profile default for each phone model that supports Cisco Extension Mobility, use the Device Profile Default Configuration window. The maximum number of device profile defaults cannot exceed the number of phone models that support Cisco CallManager Extension Mobility.

For example, a user logs on to a Cisco IP Phone model 7960, for which there is a user device profile. The user device profile for the user gets downloaded to the phone to which the user logged on. Later, the same user logs on to a Cisco IP Phone model 7940, for which he does not have a user device profile. In this case, the device profile default for the model 7940 gets downloaded to the phone.

A device profile default comprises the set of attributes (services and/or features) that are associated with a particular device. Device profiles include device type, user locale, phone button template, softkey template, multilevel precedence and preemption (MLPP) information, and Cisco IP Phone services.

Really hope this helps and again sorry for the confusion.

Thanks

Fred

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: