Views
Helpful
Replies

asa/pix vpn-filter clarification needed

nnw11903
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

at the moment I have some vpn-filters applied to remote access VPN groups defined and everything works as expected (sysopt connection permit-vpn is enabled).

Now I need to setup a few L2L tunnels and I want to restrict traffic beyond the crypto-acl level. I think I have 2 options here

1. disabling sysopt connection permit-vpn and define ACEs on the outside ACL for all my RA and L2L tunnels (not preferred by me)

2. Simply use vpn-filter for L2L tunnels too

Is option 2 possible? As far as my IPSec experience goes I think that this is a remote-access VPN option only, but the documentation is very vague about that.

Thanks in advance!

Christian

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

That's a known bug CSCsg60095 and is said to be resolved in version 7.2.2.7 .

-Kanishka

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

kaachary
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

VPN filters work for L2L also...so yu can go ahead and implement this..

-Kanishka

Unless of course you want a stable tunnel, check cisco bug toolkit for vpn-filter bugs. If anyone knows a stable release for ASA and vpn-filter, please let me know. I have tried several releases with no luck, they work for a random amount of time, then begin to block ALL traffic on the tunnel. Even tried a TAC engineering release which was actually worse. I resorted to the "no sysopt connection permit-ipsec" method with filtering on interface acl's. A little uglier, but stable.

"then begin to block ALL traffic on the tunnel"

I'm having this issue with my RA tunnels. Did you ever get this working while using sysopt connection permit-ipsec? I'm running a TAC engineering release as well - 7.2(1))25.

Thanks,

Jeremy

Hi,

for RA VPNs, the vpn-filter works flawlessly for me with "sysopt connection permit-vpn" enabled. Software release is 7.2(2).

I didnt had the time to test it with L2L tunnels yet, but I'm going to implement this with caution after I read the post from acomiskey.

Thanks.. I just upgraded to 7.2.2 and will test tonight.

Jeremy

Don't let my experience sway you from this. This was occuring for me on l2l tunnels which were up for several hours before the failures occured, that may be why you aren't seeing it on your RA vpns. If it works flawlessly for you then go with it. I was given an engineering release which was supposed to fix it but actually made it worse.

Jeremy,

Before we compare your issue to mine, are you able to get the tunnel up at all, or is the tunnel up and then blocks traffic randomly?

And no, I never got it working :(

I just went back and found an email from a cisco guy here on the forums, but I never tried this as I have it all working with interface acl's it's hard to go back and try the filter.

"Either 7.1(2.47) or 7.2(2.15) will contain the fix you need, so I'd

upgrade to whichever train you're currently running (7.1 or 7.2)."

Yes, I am able to get the tunnel up just fine. Actually, I had the "blocks traffic randomly" problem earlier as well too. However, that was fixed in a previous upgrade.

Now, I am able to get the tunnel up but whenever there is a vpn-filter applied to the group policy (regardless of the ACL) it blocks everything.

The upgrade to 7.2.2 did not fix it.

Thanks,

Jeremy

That's a known bug CSCsg60095 and is said to be resolved in version 7.2.2.7 .

-Kanishka

I upgraded to 7.2.2(18). That fixed it.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: