cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Off topic: Is this position the right one to take me to CCIE?

news2010a
Level 3
Level 3

Hi, based on the job description below could you tell me whether the position below in a large company is the right one to take me to the CCIE path? I know the position is in the 'engineering' group and I am wondering what you think about it. I have no other people to ask and I know we have senior and mature people in this forum, therefore I'd appreciate your insigth if you can.

Job title:consultant

This position is responsible for researching, testing, and designing network services and managing networks and information security projects, to include being the technology expert for application and network projects. Responsible for the selection of appropriate technology and will lead, design, plan and coordinate implementation and integration of network projects to meet business needs, costs and scheduling commitments, to include ensuring information security is built into networking solutions. Also responsible for learning, coaching, and presenting elements of networking technologies to both technical and non-technical people.

In addition to the one above, I have an offer as a network engineer (bgp, voip, wireless, routing & switching) in a mid-size company. I need to make a decision on which position will be more exciting to my career. My primary goal is to become a CCIE. I am a senior systems engineer+CCNA level.

Again thanks for your input.

marlon_news2006@yahoo.com

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

dgahm
Level 8
Level 8

Marlon,

The consultant job is going to be design and project management, with little hands on. The engineer job will be mostly hands on. The consultant job sounds like a good fit for someone who already is a CCIE level engineer. CCIE aside, which sounds like what you want to do?

Passing the CCIE is all about hands on configuration, but the truth is that few networking jobs are going to really prepare you for the lab exam. You need to be able to devote a lot of time to configuration practice in a lab environment. That either means you get access to a lab (or build one), or buy virtual lab time. It also means having a day job that leaves you with the time and energy to pursue CCIE. An ideal job would be one that would provide the lab gear, a couple hours a day to study, and pay for your lab attempts.

You should discuss your CCIE ambitions with the prospective employers. That will provide you with the best guidance to help you make a decision.

Good Luck, Dave

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

hoogen_82
Level 4
Level 4

System integrators, Cisco partners are the ones you should be looking at. I am no judge here to recommend which you should choose. But i would say a job that gives you a lot of field work rather than consulting is better suited for your preparation.

Hoogen

dgahm
Level 8
Level 8

Marlon,

The consultant job is going to be design and project management, with little hands on. The engineer job will be mostly hands on. The consultant job sounds like a good fit for someone who already is a CCIE level engineer. CCIE aside, which sounds like what you want to do?

Passing the CCIE is all about hands on configuration, but the truth is that few networking jobs are going to really prepare you for the lab exam. You need to be able to devote a lot of time to configuration practice in a lab environment. That either means you get access to a lab (or build one), or buy virtual lab time. It also means having a day job that leaves you with the time and energy to pursue CCIE. An ideal job would be one that would provide the lab gear, a couple hours a day to study, and pay for your lab attempts.

You should discuss your CCIE ambitions with the prospective employers. That will provide you with the best guidance to help you make a decision.

Good Luck, Dave

Thank you Dave and others.

I discussed the CCIE ambitions with the employer from prospective employer for the mid-size, start up company and he said that makes sense.

I will ask the consultancy prospective employer how many % hands on that it is just to make sure and also whether they provide training benefits since that is a very big company, but what you said makes sense. I guess if they say that tons of training is provided that would justify my preference, but I will double check with them.

I will make less money with the engineering job for now, but that's what I like and I hope that can lead me to a better pay once I achieve the experience I want.

Thanks again.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card