Views
Helpful
Replies

OSPF -administrative distance Manipulation

hassan_syed6
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Guys i need help here. Your input will be greatly apprecaited.

I have 4 router's

I will explain what the problem is Router # A connects with Router # B using IBGP. Router # A also has a OSPF connection to Router # B through Router C and then Router D.

I have customers sitting on the OSPF network and also on the BGP network. I want to manipulate the OSPF administrative distance so that routes should go only through IBGP connection.

Let's say i want to access 10.10.10.1/24 from Router # B. I want Router # B to access this network through Router # A through IBGP connection. But what's happening due to OSPF low administrative distance. I am learning this network on Router # B through Router # C, D and then A ( which is ospf path). Only Router # A and B are connected through IBGP path.

Also i have got route-maps to redistribute the BGP to OSPF. Is there any thing i can use so OSPF path is not preferred and IBGP path is preferred using Route-maps.

Sorry, for a long story...Spend all night trying to implement this stupid change.

1 Reply 1

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Syed

I would suggest that instead of looking for ways to manipulate the Administrative Distance that you consider implementing Policy Based Routing to solve your requirements.

PBR does depend on configuration of route maps to implement the logic that will forward the traffic. It seems to me that you could configure route maps which would identify traffic for that customer and send their traffic over the OSPF links (though you would probably identify the next hop address rather than specifying type of route information).

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card