cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Traffic shaping support, related questions.

ltwalling
Level 1
Level 1

What Cisco routers support more than basic traffic shaping? I cannot seem to determine, for sure, which models support class based and distributed class based traffic shaping.

Specifically, I am most interested in the 1800 series for my applications, with a v.35 interface, or based on your feedback a higher end unit comparable or superior to the Adtran Netvanta 3305 appliances I am using.

I am looking at replacing several Adtran appliances due to their lack of any form of traffic shaping support. The problem is simple but difficult at the same time because of a lack of traffic shaping support. The circuits are used for internal web browsing, external hosting (email, web, dns, etc), and also our VPN and latency sensitive voice traffic on two ethernet interfaces (eth0 for private, eth1 for public). The links are easily saturated by a user downloading a file from the internet, killing the ability to carry reliable voice across the links. I am looking at a drop in solution to directly replace my Netvanta 3305 VPN units using a serial nim - adding what is most heavily needed, traffic shaping support.

In addition, the voice is carried across a VPN tunnel. It is necessary to enable out-of-order packet processing to insure QOS in such a situation. Is this possible with a suggested Cisco appliance? I imagine it is.

It is unlikely that the appliances would be used in an environment in the short term with more than 3mbps worth of throughput, though in the next 6-12 months that could expand to 10mbps.

Thanks very much for your feedback.

1 Reply 1

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

yes the 1800 seriel supports traffic shaping. In addition, these will support any kind kind of Qos like priority for voice and a bunch of other that are too numerous to mention here, some of which you have mentioned.

Moreover, there are available interfaces (WIC) that can directly connetct whatever kind of circuit you have (T1, ADSL, G.HDSL, etc) eliminating the need for a CSU like the ADtran, so that you will have all the monitoring and alarm functions concentrated in the router.

In short, is exactly the job of the router to do all the things that you need to in a network.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: