cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Remote phone log in for mobile workers

knowlerp
Level 1
Level 1

We are running Unity 4.2(1) with CCM 4.2 and may roll out IPCC at a future date.

Our legacy phone system (M110 and Teleware voicemail) had a facility whereby if

a user was working out of the office they could call from any PSTN line or mobile into the Teleware and

then tell the teleware to register that PSTN line or mobile as an extn number.

In this way anyone could call the extn number and it would go straight to the user.

We have tried replicating this functionality with Unity call handlers but this doesnt give the ability to call

in and register and it also makes it difficult if they want to change the number as it is reliant on them having network access

from their PC which is not always the case for someone who is driving all day.

Any ideas how we can do this ?

19 Replies 19

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I'm a little puzzled why you had to use call handlers for this - the subscriber record has a transfer rule associated with them (it is, in fact, a special kind of call handler).

You can change the transfer number from over the phone in the setup conversation - so if you were working from your mobile you can call in and change the transfer number on your subscriber account to ring your mobile phone instead of your work phone or whatever. As long as the subscriber's transfer restriction table allows the number (which can be internal or external - prefix it with a 9 or the like) this should work fine. Is there some reason you didn't go this route?

Jeff

The reason for using call handlers was so that if the mobile user didnt answer or keyed 2 to reject the call the caller could then leave a voicemail on the Exchange server rather than on the mobile as this is a data protection requirement of our organisation.

How would I set up the system you describe,would they need the TUI enabled to do this as this is also disabled as a requireent of our organistaion !!

Would you system send the caller back to Unity , as you can see my difficulty is trying to come up with something that satisfies the end users but also fits in with the restrictions imposed by the company.

Well, I still don't get it. Maybe I'm just being slow or you're leaving a step out.

There sounds to me to be absolutely no difference between configuring the subscriber to ring the phone instead of having a call handler do it. They perform the same function and, in fact, use the same database objects to do it. There's no difference in functionality at all.

Everything you describe can be done - I remain confused as to what you are struggling with.

Jeff

Its probably me being a bit slow, I havent used Unity for about 4 years and have forgotten lots of stuff.

Anyway, I've dialled into my mailbox from home (its 20:00 here) and was able to set the divert to another PSTN number.

Obviously this was done via the TUI which, as sys admin, I have enabled for myself.

The problem is we have a mandatory requirement that users must not be able to play messages back via the phone due to the sensitve nature of the business and data protection issues with users playing back normal emails.

They can only access messages via their outlook accounts.

If I enable the TUI for users is their some way I can set it so they can only change settings etc but cannot play messages back ?

Thanks for your help and patience.

ah, that's a new one.

But yeah, you can do this using the Custom Key Map conversation - just remove the options off the main subscriber menu for checking new messages or saved messages - then all subscribers can do is send messages (which is presumably OK) or change their settings.

You can get info on the Custom Key Map capabilities here:

http://www.ciscounitytools.com/App_CustomKeymap.htm

That looks like it should do the job !

I'll try that tomorrow and let you know how I get on.

Thanks.

One last question.

If someone is playing back messages via the TUI can it be set so they are able to play back voicemails but are unable to play back emails ?

Sorry, think I've found the answer to that one.

I have set the standard greeting to "attempt transfer to" and under transfer have set the number and am able to change it by dialling in.

Transfer is set for "Supervise" however if the call is taken back by Unity it then tries to call the mobile again but if the call is not answered I need the caller to leave a voicemail in unity, they must not leave messages on the users mobile.

also I think the key editor will work but where do I set the subscriber to look at the new key setup ?

Please see attachement of the screen shot for the conversation

Sorry I cant put attachements on.

The Conversation drop down is only 1 character wide and if you click on it it is blank so doesnt show any conversation styles.

Can get the attachment on now, does this look right ?

The converstaion appear in the database as per the 2nd, CUDLE, screenshot

I'm not sure what's going on with your conversation drop down in the SA - the table the SA actually pulls from is LocalizedText - I'm guessing the strings in there are for 1033 (US English) and there is no UK English text - the SA _should_ be smart enough to pull 1033 in that case but maybe not. Try switching your IE browser to US English (the SA pulls the client language from the browser) and see if that works.

you can also use BulkEdit to assign conversations to subscribers - you can try that in a pinch just to see if this works for you until you can figure out what's up with the SA...

Jeff

Thanks,I'll try that tomorrow.

the real sticking point at the moment is getting the call to go to voicemail if the subscriber doesnt answer their mobile or home phone.

We can do this with call handlers but using this current setup it just keeps taking the call back after 10 rings and then transfers it out the the mobile number again.

It is very important that any voicemails are left on ubity not on the subscribers mobile phone voicemail.

again, subscribers ARE call handlers. Keep reminding yourself of that! They are not different so if you could do it with handlers, you can definitely do it with subscribers. Honest.

it sounds like you're not doing supervised transfers but release transfers right off hand...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: