cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Router Advice Please

bjrivera26
Level 1
Level 1

We currently have about 40 people in our office and we are running off of a Linksys Router and we are having a lot of connections issues to the internet, we have replaced this router two times already and I would like to get some opinions as to getting another router, one that would be a lot more stable. Any ideas?

9 Replies 9

spremkumar
Level 9
Level 9

hi

are you currently having connectivity only to the internet ?

what kinda link termination is there in your router ? is is plain ethernet or any other mode of drop ?

also are you running any kinda features like (firewall/ids/ipsec) on your router ?

regds

We can connect to the network fine it's just problems with the connectivity to the internet. One minute your connected the next your not, hit refresh a couple of times and your back on. It's just an ethernet connection from our ISP to the Linksys BEFSR41 no features. I replaced the Linksys Router a couple of times and works fine for a while then we run into this problem again.

I think what the other gentleman is getting at is what kind of service do you have, ie..DSL. Cable, ect..

As for the linksys BEFSR41 I use to have that same model ver.3 I think. And I was having connectivity issues as well, under extreme load (having a bunch of friends over playing games or hosting a game) it would just stop routing traffic. The only way for it to work again was to cycle the power on it. After upgrading to a Cisco 815 ISR, I have not had those problems.

Sorry, about that, I'm pretty much a newbie at this side of the network. We have an ISDN - Cbeyond is our ISP.

I have read several posts on other websites as well about this Linksys router and everyone seems to have the same opinion. I have cycled the power on and off so many times, it just doesn't make any sense to keep using this product.

That's why, I am looking for a better solution.

Its ok sometimes we over-look some questions when trouble-shooting an issue, ecspecially when its very frustrating. I know I've been there.

And I couldn't agree with you even more on replacing the Linksys, while just fine for the average emailer, surfer.

Is there a reason why this router just keeps getting replaced by the same make and model, when things go south? Have you contacted someone at Cisco in regards to your network needs? They might be able to point you to a solution geared for your organization.

Also the more well versed people who post here are very knowledge-able and helpfull and might be able to point you to a solution as well.

Thanks.....and to answer your question about replacing with the same thing over and over is because that is what the person in this role has done because cheap fix. But now that person is gone, I'm looking into solutions to actually make it a stable network environment so we are more productive.

I read on Techrepublic about others having the same problems and it was recommended towards a Cisco 800 series or SonicWall TZ 170.

So, I'm just trying to figure out what would be best for my situation, with having only 40 people and a limited budget.

I'm open to suggestions. And yes, it's very frustrating.

A fellow Technetter :)

Were they suggesting the Cisco 801?

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps380/products_data_sheet09186a008008872c.html

How much of a budget are they allowing?

They suggested a Cisco 800 series or the Sonic Wall TZ 170. But I was just reading all articles based on poor internet connections using a Linksys and that's what came up. So, I am trying to research what would be best for my situation.

I am not sure about the budget yet, I just started in this position and they have not given me one. But I thought I could present a good case as to why we need to get something more reliable.

Just curious, but have you checked your DHCP scope options as well? Have you configured enough IP addresses for all your users on the network? Remember, printers that are connected to the network with an IP address take from the same scope as well.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco