cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Question about Supervisor 32 (WS-SUP32-GE-3B)

nspoftech
Level 1
Level 1

We're currently using a 7507 as our core router connecting to multiple providers. We want to replace the 7507 with our 6506. The 6506 has a Supervisor 32 (WS-SUP32-GE-3B). We're thinking of purchasing the L3 license and make this our core router. Our current BGP route is roughly 480K. We're going to add two additional providers and the BGP route will grow over 1K. We love to be able to use the Sup 720 but our budget is limited. We're asking the tech community if the Supervisor 32 will work efficiently in this configuration.

Thank you.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Before you add more eBGP peering, I recommend that you upgrade the memory to 512MB.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Danilo Dy
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

For BGP the first important resource is Memory, I wonder how you get 480K Prefixes??? You might be receiving even /32 subnets.

Minimum memory requirement for full BGP route is 256MB, recommended is 512MB.

What is your current memory now? Sup32 can upgrade up to 1GB http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/prod_bulletin0900aecd801ff3ee.html

I meant to say that we have over 480K routes. We currently have 256MB and average memory used is 200MB.

The Sup32 should be ok for us to use since it's upgradeable to 1GB.

Thank you.

Before you add more eBGP peering, I recommend that you upgrade the memory to 512MB.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco