cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Hep with Creating VLANS on my CAT 2948G-L3 Switch

MICHAEL CICCONE
Level 1
Level 1

I'm trying to create VLANS on this switch but I don't see the commands to do it. I have the following IOS instlaled.

cat2948g-in-mz.120-25.W5.27d.bin

Thanks in advance for the help

Mike

4 Replies 4

Amit Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Mike,

You cannot create layer 2 vlan on this L3 switch router.You can configure vlan rub-interfaces on the trunk port to achieve inter-vlan routing.

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/l3sw/4908g_l3/ios_12/18w522a/config/vlancnfg.htm

HTH,Please rate if it does.

-amit singh

Amit,

Here is what I would like to do with this switch. I want to have seprate networks. Say 10.1.1.1/24 and 10.2.1.1/24. I was planning on doing this with two different vlans. Vlan 10 and 11. Then have the two vlans route to the router. I need to the vlans so that I can have x number of ports for the one network and y number of ports for the other network. How can I achive this?

Thanks

Do you have a spare L2 switch. You cannot create L2 vlans on this box. You can use it as an external L3 router for intervlan routing between the vlans. Use a spare L2 switch and uplink it to this box using a trunk link and then create sub-interfaces for the respective vlans for achieving the inter-vlan routing.

-amit singh

Amit,

Thanks for the help... Sounds like what your telling me is that I cannot use this switches the way I would like to. I guess I need a 3550 or 3750.

Thanks

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card