cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3560s+LH/LX SFP, no link over 2KM.

ens
Level 1
Level 1

I've got a pair of 3560s (one's PoE, the other's bog standard), running 12.2(25)SEE2, with the GLC-LH-SM SFPs in them. When the switches are close together (~ 2 meters or so), the link works, no problems. However, our fiber is over around 2 kilometers. We can't get the links up. Since the fiber between the sites is terminated with SC connectors, and the SFPs are (naturally) LC connectors, we've used converters as well as very short SC-LC cables with SC-SC couplers. With the converters and both switches set to nonnegotiate on gi0/1, we see a link light on one end or the other, depending on which cable we hook up.

We're currently using media converters between the two sites, which work just fine (other than the fact they're 100baseT and not ours), which indicates to me that the fiber itself is not the problem.

Do we just have bum SFP(s), or is there something I've missed in the configuration?

The config on both ends is (currently)

int gi0/1

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

switchport mode trunk

2 Replies 2

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

you don't mention what kind of fiber you have between the sites . Also the converters may work because they have a higher power budget than the sfp's . You may have to have the fiber troubleshot , you may have a bad splice somewhere even though the converters work .

Sorry, it's singlemode between the sites. The fiber provider says that they tested between the sites, but I'm not sure what that test involved.

Is there some kind of amplifier I could get that would fix the issue?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: