cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VLAN Propagation

mgibson
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 4507 running as my main VLAN server with my switches setup to talk to them. The system was built and put into place, the vlans got pushed out to the switches like they should have. I made a couple new vlans and now I find they are not being pushed out to the rest of the switches. I see from the vtp status that some of them got their last update January of this year.

How come this isn't working like it should?

How can I force them to get pushed out to the switches?

11 Replies 11

I assume you are talking about VTP. Any VLAN changes, addition/deletion, you made on the VTP server should have been automatically propagated to the other switches in the same VTP domain if all other configurations are correct.

Can you check whether the VTP domain name, password on all the switches match. This problem could have happened if the VTP server switch was swapped recently and the config mayn't have been restored exactly or someone changed the VTP setting(s) manually.

If all that's OK then can you post the vlan/VTP portion of the server switch and one of the client switches and include, show vtp status, show vtp password, show vtp domain etc..

HTH

Sundar

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You would have to post the configs . How did you create the vlans? Also are you sure you are running client/server or is it possible they are just running transparent mode in which case they do not get pushed out to attached switches , everything is manual in that case where you have to configure the vlans on both sides . You can check the setup , show vtp status .

This is from a client switch:

VTP Version : 2

Configuration Revision : 7

Maximum VLANs supported locally : 1005

Number of existing VLANs : 14

VTP Operating Mode : Client

VTP Domain Name : taftnet

VTP Pruning Mode : Disabled

VTP V2 Mode : Disabled

VTP Traps Generation : Disabled

MD5 digest : 0x8B 0x8B 0xCA 0xED 0x3A 0x2D 0x70 0xEB

Configuration last modified by 0.0.0.0 at 3-3-93 14:15:43

Here is from the 4507:

VTP Version : 2

Configuration Revision : 24

Maximum VLANs supported locally : 1005

Number of existing VLANs : 20

VTP Operating Mode : Server

VTP Domain Name : taftnet

VTP Pruning Mode : Disabled

VTP V2 Mode : Disabled

VTP Traps Generation : Disabled

MD5 digest : 0x25 0x35 0x79 0x94 0x9A 0xFA 0x6C 0x67

Configuration last modified by 192.168.5.254 at 1-18-07 10:04:12

Local updater ID is 192.168.5.254 on interface Vl5 (lowest numbered VLAN interf)

I checked both of them and they both have the same vtp password.

Please paste the output of " show VTP counters " from both the switches. Make sure that your trunks are working fine also.

-amit singh

From Switch:

VTP statistics:

Summary advertisements received : 0

Subset advertisements received : 0

Request advertisements received : 0

Summary advertisements transmitted : 0

Subset advertisements transmitted : 0

Request advertisements transmitted : 847

Number of config revision errors : 0

Number of config digest errors : 0

Number of V1 summary errors : 0

From 4507:

VTP statistics:

Summary advertisements received : 280282

Subset advertisements received : 63

Request advertisements received : 15725

Summary advertisements transmitted : 961320

Subset advertisements transmitted : 15879

Request advertisements transmitted : 0

Number of config revision errors : 0

Number of config digest errors : 0

Number of V1 summary errors : 0

How do I check that the trunks are working? I am new to this and haven't gotten any training yet so I am shoting from the hip. The system was built by a Cisco provider for us and installed with little training.

spichiger
Level 1
Level 1

Hey, Hi... do you know the CNA (Cisco Network Assistant)?

Its very easy to configure Vlan and VTP.

try! its free.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps5931/index.html

good luck!

juan carlos

I have used the program before, but because I have so many switches `20 the program wouldn't let me watch them all. I will download it again and just point it to the 4507 and see what I can find. Thanks for the tip.

thomas.feichter
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

the vtp advertisements are sent on the native vlan (default native vlan = 1).

On the trunks to the client switches the native vlan is allowed?

Regards,

Thomas

I know that each port has the following item added to it, switchport trunk native vlan and its listed as 10 which is my managment vlan. Do I need to make sure that the uplink ports from the client switches to the 4507 are vlan 1 instead of 10?

christian.stock
Level 1
Level 1

I would go with the "vtp interface x.x.x.x" command, ie, point the clients to the management vlan ip of the vtp server. I seem to recall this working for me in the past.

Amit Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Please paste your core and one of the uplink switch configuration which is not getting the VTP details.

-amit singh

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco