cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Network Assistant 5.0 5.1

oricacomms
Level 1
Level 1

Previously I have used CNA 4.1 without problems.

Recently installed CNA 5.0 and upon running the app received a java error "Could not create the Java virtual machine"

Uninstalled this and went back to 4.1 which operated fine.

Have just installed CNA 5.1 and it give the same java error again.

Uninstalled 5.1 and installed 4.1 and its all fine again.

Has anyone else come across this and is there a resolution on how to fix.

BTW have also tried different JRE editions such 1.4 and 1.5.

Current:

M:\>java -version

java version "1.5.0_11"

Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_11-b03)

Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.5.0_11-b03, mixed mode, sharing)

edit: should also mention that I have tried installing in different DIR's and changing the security to "full control" inheritive.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

in my case this does not help. Just to make it a little more clear, sfter Starting CNA 5.1 i only see a small Window with "Cisco Network Assistant" in it, and then nothing happens ! Normnaly i then see things like "loading class xxxx" any Ideas ?

Reiner

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

reiner.vossmann
Level 1
Level 1

i have similar Problems running 4.1 everything is fine -> uninstalled 4.1 and installed 5.1 -> installation is O.K. but Application does not start ! No Error Message. Does anyone have an Idea how to troubleshoot / Trace the Start of the App. Problem in my case is on W2k3 Sp1. I have also installed on XP where everything is O.K.

Can anybody give me a little wiev into the secrets of JAVA ?

Thanks

Reiner

Hi,

I guess you have installed NA 5.1 on a machine which has I.E 7.0. If you install NA 5.1 on WinXP or Win2K3 which has I.E 6.0 then it works fine.

HTH

Shaheen

Hi Shaheen,

actually using ie 6.0.2900.2180_SP2 on XP

I am guessing that its a java handler calling a reference thats not there..

OK Found the fix.

after a standard install in the default directory.

in dir "C:\Program Files\Cisco Systems\Cisco Network Assistant\startup" find file "startup.properties"

Edit in txt editor.

Third line in my case: JVM_MAXIMUM_HEAP=1024m

I changed this to JVM_MAXIMUM_HEAP=768m

(I have 2G of Ram)

All good!!!

in my case this does not help. Just to make it a little more clear, sfter Starting CNA 5.1 i only see a small Window with "Cisco Network Assistant" in it, and then nothing happens ! Normnaly i then see things like "loading class xxxx" any Ideas ?

Reiner

In my case, the installation cannot continue...it got an error "the installer cannot run on graphical mode, try running with the -console or -silent flag".

mine is Winxp - sp2

can anyone help?

thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: