Views
Helpful
Replies

CSS - RPC/TRIM application bypassing CSS

boxhallbr
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a problem with a CSS configuration.

The configuration of the network is as follows. The client request hits the front end VIP of the CSS and is then redirected to the backend server. The requirement is to maintain the connection between the client and the server via the CSS

The server application runs RPC/TRIM.

Once the connection is established the backend server sends a RPC packet back to the client via the CSS advertising the server's IP address, name, and port number. The client then establishes a connection with the server - bypassing the CSS.

Is there any way to maintain the connection between the client and the server via the CSS? One thing we tried was to change the loopback address on the server to match the front end VIP address of the CSS. This did not work. Instead it made the VIP address unreachable.

Any help would be grateful and please let me know if any additional information is required.

Bryce

2 Replies 2

If the real server is asking the client to connect to its Real Ip address then obviously Client will bypass the CSS.

You Should ask your application people to rewrite the application such that the servers should hardcode the Virtual ip of the application instead.

In order to make sure that a particular client sticks to a particular Server (Which is probably the reason why application is hardcoding the ip, you can use Source ip based stickiness.

Syed Iftekhar Ahmed

Syed,

Thanks for your help. I thought it wasn't a CSS issue.

I have forwarded your responce to the server people but obviously a change like this won't happen straight away.

Regards,

Bryce.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card