cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

redundancy in ciscoworks lms 2.5

ariesc_33
Level 1
Level 1

would it be possible to have a cluster or load balancing with 2 ciscoworks server?

Thanks

9 Replies 9

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Unfortunately not with the way LMS works currently. Redundancy is only possible within DCR. Other components of CiscoWorks may integrated with multiple servers (e.g. Single-Sign On), but do not replicate data.

What we typically recommend to customers that need redundancy is to use a DCR master/slave on the redundant nodes, send syslog messages to all redundant nodes but disable config fetch on syslog reception on all standby nodes, and tune down polling on all standby nodes. Once a node falls over to primary, then you have to go in and manually configure all of the polling and config fetch settings to be those of the master.

akemp
Level 5
Level 5

Another approach is to have two seperate Ciscoworks server clusters. I have two clusters geographically redundant spaced about 1,500 miles apart. It does increase the amount of management traffic on your network, but when you consider the cost of not having that information available when one cluster encounters a fatal bug or you need to upgrade and evaulate the impact of a new version/patch, its priceless. I have some 30 concurrent power users/customers who are impacted very little when I need to take one cluster down.that just

Hi!.Are all data synchronize in lms when clustered? Any documentation on how to implement this?

Thank you very much

The only data that is synchronized when you integrate the DCR of two or more servers is the DCR data. That is, the master list of devices and their credentials will be replicated across the servers in the same DCR domain (i.e. DCR cluster). Nothing else (e.g. device configurations, CiscoWorks users, software images, etc.) will be synchronized.

Hi.

Is there a documentation on how to integrate the DCR for 2 servers?

Thanks

Its in the installation guide. A pretty simple proposition.

I would recommend that you remove any application specific groupings (like rme, campus, etc) and move them to Common Services (cs) groupings. This way you get a consistant UI across multiple boxes.

In addition to the installation and getting started guides, there are deployment white papers available from http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/cscowork/ps2425/prod_white_papers_list.html . The Common Services 3.0 white paper discusses how to enable DCR master/slave.

Hi Joe,

I setup the Master/Slave relationship for my 2 LMS servers, mainly to ensure that my DCR changes on the primary server are automatically replicated to the backup server. I now notice that access to the backup server is quite slow. Is this normal?

Cheers, SteveK.

There should be no noticeable slow down when enabling DCR master/slave provided the two can communicate quickly. That is, network lag would be the only real cause of slow down.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: