CCNP vs. CCVP

Unanswered Question
Mar 12th, 2007

Greetings all. This is my first post in a Cisco forum, so be sure to let me know if I commit any breaches of protocol.

I am a CCNA deciding where to head next down the certification path. I need to decide between a CCNP and a CCVP. (Yes, I know having BOTH would be good, but...)

I'm interested in any Pros/Cons you can give _purely from an employability standpoint_. Are both equally employable? Do both make the same money?

A quick search of Dice shows 750 jobs for CCNPs and only 92 for CCVPs. However, CCVP being a newer cert I would assume there are fewer of them to compete against.

Thanks in advance for any comments re the employability and earning potential of CCVPs vs. CCNPs.

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
daviddtran Tue, 03/13/2007 - 07:24

I've not worked with Voice much but I can tell you that someone with CCSP can get paid more than CCNP. It is all about supply and demand.

Think about it. There are less than 450 CCIE

voice and less than 900 CCIE security out there,

in a pool of about 14,000 CCIEs. If I have to

guess, I would say the # of CCVP and CCSP is

much smaller than CCNP. Therefore, the earning

potential for CCSP and CCVP is higher than CCNP.

David

jcrussell Tue, 03/13/2007 - 07:33

I say forget "employability" and figure out what you like doing the most. VoIP is blowing up right now, but I'm doing my CCIE in Routing & Switching. Why? Because that's what I enjoy the most. Sure, I could probably make more money as a Security or Voice CCIE, but that's not what I want to do.

So take a long, hard look at what you like. If you truly like both of them 100% equal, then look at factors like money.

hoogen_82 Tue, 03/13/2007 - 10:47

Hi,

Just by the look of it, I would say CCVP cert is a hot thing. Just remember that whatever you do having a base on routing and switching is important. Certification doesn't matter here. So do get a base on routing and sqitching and then do your CCVP. As you have said having both is a godd thing, but if your on short of money this is the best way to go.

Cheers

Hoogen

leroyplock Tue, 03/13/2007 - 14:06

Thanks to everyone for their input!

I'm surprised that Cisco doesn't offer more of a "middle way" between CCNP/CCVP, which would be ideal for me.

The problem with getting both isn't so much of a money problem as my employer will pay for it, but a time thing. Still got to have a life away from this stuff!

As far as "do what you like," I agree up to a point, but in the end work is work, we do it because we get paid. I actually enjoy doing both, up to the level I've done them so far.

Thanks again everyone. I have more questions, but will create new posts for clarity.

jlhainy Sat, 03/17/2007 - 19:04

Actually, the new CCNP exams do cover voice now. So, in a way, the New CCNP exams are in fact a middle ground for CCVP.

Personally, I am going for CCNP because it relates to my job more than the others. I am the sole network engineer for a 43 site organization. I deal with routing & switching, wireless & security. Not voice yet, but I know it is comming sooner or later. Because I have many hats and the CCNP covers a little bit of both Voice and wireless as well as the traditional routing & switching, I am going for CCNP.

leroyplock Sun, 03/18/2007 - 09:53

Thanks for the reply.

I had already decided to do the CCNP (at least first) but after reading your post I dug a little more into the course outlines and see that ONT does cover a fair amount of VoIP, especially QoS. Affirms my decision, thanks!

marksenteza Mon, 03/19/2007 - 07:03

I'd suggest whatever excites you more, you;d go for that, or why not both. I am currently pursuing CCSP, but before I could even think about being a Security professional I had to first gain a more advanced understanding of routing/switching/etc, so i completed the CCNP first. It might work well for you to do the same

Actions

This Discussion