cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

gre tunnels

carl_townshend
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi all, can anyone tell me why we use these ?, and do they sit on a normal say serial connection ?

3 Replies 3

spremkumar
Level 9
Level 9

Hi Carl

GRE Tunnels are just encapsulation technique being used to transmit your data over public network.

For an example if you private subnet being used in your local lan in your locations and if you want to have them communicate with each other over a public network then you just need to configure GRE tunnels between the locations over ther public network and have the communication established between your locations.

you can also refer the below link for more info on the same..

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1835/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a0080087093.html#wp1012601

regds

Why not just use site-to-site VPN? Sorry I'm not really familiar with GRE. Good thing I found this post because I really wanted to ask what GRE is. Even a Tunnel interface. Thanks.

I thought that myself, wouldnt most people use vpn, is this old technology now ?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card