Clustering Diferent Switchs

Unanswered Question
Mar 13th, 2007
User Badges:

I just want to have ur knowledge about to main advantages and disadvantages unsing cluster's in 3500 and 2950 Switchs.

P.S. - I have it connected with Gigastack connectors and see that they only do Half-Duplex... arg ? Is it possible to do Full Duplex, even if i connected both cables on same Gigastack?

Tks,

Petr?nio

Overall Rating: 3 (2 ratings)
Amit Singh Tue, 03/13/2007 - 06:47
User Badges:
  • Cisco Employee,

Hello,

The advantage using the switch cluster is that you can manage all the connected devices using a single IP address. A single GUI to manage all the switches config and montioring.

The disadvantage is as mentioned above the whole cluster works in half-duplex mode. If you want to make it work on full duplex you have to connect the switches in a STAR topology which is not the switch cluster configuration.

HTH,

-amit singh

b.petronio Tue, 03/13/2007 - 07:31
User Badges:

So, it does not make sense creating a Standby Virtual ip address between, let's say 3 switchs in a cluster, with 1 vlan ip address for each one.

I.E.

SW1 - Vlan 1 Ip Address 10.0.0.1

SW2 - Vlan 1 Ip Address 10.0.0.2

SW3 - Vlan 1 Ip Address 10.0.0.3

Standby IP Addres 10.0.0.4 - SW1,2,3 are members of this Standby group.

All the switchs have ip address's

There is any advantage on this cluster configuration?

Tks,

Petr?nio

glen.grant Tue, 03/13/2007 - 06:56
User Badges:
  • Purple, 4500 points or more

You will also have a lot easier time finding devices if you do not cluster and use a star configuration .

b.petronio Wed, 03/14/2007 - 10:39
User Badges:

I know that, but the client stays very happy seeing the colors in the web interface management.

Tks,

Petr?nio

Actions

This Discussion