cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Clustering Diferent Switchs

b.petronio
Level 3
Level 3

I just want to have ur knowledge about to main advantages and disadvantages unsing cluster's in 3500 and 2950 Switchs.

P.S. - I have it connected with Gigastack connectors and see that they only do Half-Duplex... arg ? Is it possible to do Full Duplex, even if i connected both cables on same Gigastack?

Tks,

Petr?nio

4 Replies 4

Amit Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

The advantage using the switch cluster is that you can manage all the connected devices using a single IP address. A single GUI to manage all the switches config and montioring.

The disadvantage is as mentioned above the whole cluster works in half-duplex mode. If you want to make it work on full duplex you have to connect the switches in a STAR topology which is not the switch cluster configuration.

HTH,

-amit singh

So, it does not make sense creating a Standby Virtual ip address between, let's say 3 switchs in a cluster, with 1 vlan ip address for each one.

I.E.

SW1 - Vlan 1 Ip Address 10.0.0.1

SW2 - Vlan 1 Ip Address 10.0.0.2

SW3 - Vlan 1 Ip Address 10.0.0.3

Standby IP Addres 10.0.0.4 - SW1,2,3 are members of this Standby group.

All the switchs have ip address's

There is any advantage on this cluster configuration?

Tks,

Petr?nio

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You will also have a lot easier time finding devices if you do not cluster and use a star configuration .

I know that, but the client stays very happy seeing the colors in the web interface management.

Tks,

Petr?nio

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: