Views
Helpful
Replies

DHCP Snooping support for BootP

oguarisco
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

anyone knows if with DHCP Snooping enabled a device requesting the IP address via BootP is working...

I see that the device receive the IP Address via DHCP but is not inserted into the DHCP snooping binding DB

Regards

Omar

5 Replies 5

didyap
Level 6
Level 6

DHCP snooping works if the DHCP server is on the same segment. DHCP snooping work if the DHCP server is remote and the server supporst Option 82.

ALAN HARKRADER
Level 4
Level 4

I have the same problem: some old HP printers use only BOOTP and they don't show up in the DHCP snooping bindings.

Hi,

the only way is to setup a global static entry on the configuration of the switch usign the command ip dhcp snooping binding XXXXXX.

In fact without setting a static entry on the switch, the DHCP Server assigned the IP via BootP but the DHCP Snooping DB is not populated and it don't work unless you configure it.

The problem is, maybe they chanbged in the new IOS Release, that after a reload these entry are erased

Regards

That means I have to match up printers to switch ports and make sure they stay put... just what BOOTP/DHCP is supposed to avoid.

I'm running 12.2(37)SE1 so it doesn't get much newer. I'm opening a TAC ticket to see if this is by design... it seems like a defect not to populate BOOTP devices.

I was running 12.2(35) and i don't think it an IOS issue since BootP is quasi the same of DHCP

If you have static IP you should configure a static DHCP snooping mapping and so I think you have to do with BootP since it's not Real DHCP

Let me know

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card