Helpful
Replies

Routing Loop

dhavaltandel
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I have one confusion for Routing Loop,

in distance vector routing is all the routers (i.e. R-1, R-B, R-C) update its routing table at same time or they do have their individual route update timer..?

Thanks,

Dhaval Tandel

3 Replies 3

Amit Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Dhaval,

Distance vector routing protocol use a delay value in order to prevent routing table collision when the router sends the routing table to each other. This value generally around 5 seconds. For example RIP's update timer varies between 25-30 second. Same for the IGRP as well.

HTH,

-amit singh

Hi Amit,

Thanks for takin interest,

Your answer is correct, now i wanted to know if i have 3 routers (R-1, R-B, R-C).

Than is all the routers upate simultaniously or all three router update differently like one after another.?

Thanks,

Dhaval Tandel

Dhaval,

All the 3 routers will update differently as per the delay va;ue they have. they will not use the same update timer vlaue otherwise routing table collision will happen between the neighbors when they try to send the routing table to each other.

HTH,please rate if it does.

-amit singh

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card