cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

MPLS Vs. Point to Point

mdargin
Level 1
Level 1

What are the advantage of using MPLS Vs. Point to Point circuits? I know MPLS offers a Mesh. Are there any other major advantages of using MPLS.

Is QoS better on a MPLS vs Point to Point? It appears to be no difference to me because QoS would just be configured on the router interfaces of a point to point circuit.

All responses are greatly appreciated. Thank You

2 Replies 2

Danilo Dy
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

One of the advantage of MPLS over point-to-point is if you have multiple branches or remote offices. Consider it cheap to connect multiple branches to head office with higher available bandwidth using point-to-multipoint configuration. Using IP GRE Tunnel, you can even run dynamic routing protocol over it - which gives you control what to route and where to route, rather than contacting the provider everytime you need to make routing changes which will take time and money.

walleyewiz
Level 1
Level 1

I am a firm believer in MPLS for several reasons. The main one you stated in your question. Basically, the MPLS provider is taking care of the mesh for you. You don't have the n(n-1)/2 problem, they do. QoS is only as good as what the provider offers. You basically map your DSCP settings into the QoS model they offer. Verizon has a very good QoS model.

The main thing I like about MPLS is that the provider basically takes over. You call them up and say 'connect the DC office up to MPLS.' They call you back and you are all set. Remember that MPLS is a Layer 3 service so if you want positive control of routing from start to finish, MPLS probably isn't for you. Some providers now offer L2VPN services (VPLS, VPWS) over their MPLS networks, but then you are back to the n2 problem.

I would highly recommend using MPLS and running BGP at all sites that connect to the cloud.

Hope this helps.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card