cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

MAC Address Flapping between ports

stewartbarrett
Level 1
Level 1

I have an ESX server with two NIC's connected to two seperate 2960 switches (for reducnecy presumably) The two 2960 have a trunk to the core switch 4507. In the syslog I see the following message:Host 00:50:56:47:9B:88 in vlan 104 is flapping between port Gi7/4 and port Gi7/6

How can i stop this 'flapping' occuring?

Thanks

Stewart

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

dgahm
Level 8
Level 8

Stewart,

The server NIC teaming needs to be set for fault tolerant, meaning only one active with the other standby. If they are set for load balancing the NICs need to be connected to the same switch on an etherchannel.

Please rate helpful posts.

Dave

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

dgahm
Level 8
Level 8

Stewart,

The server NIC teaming needs to be set for fault tolerant, meaning only one active with the other standby. If they are set for load balancing the NICs need to be connected to the same switch on an etherchannel.

Please rate helpful posts.

Dave

Hi Dave,

That makes sense. Many thanks you for your help.

Stewart

b.petronio
Level 3
Level 3

As the previous poster sayed, they have configured the NIC in Load Balance feature, and in this case u need to configure a Etherchannel as well in the switching side, so u need to configure the both ports in the same switch.

The Server is balancing information between the two nic's, and because of that the same MAC Address it is seen by the 4507, in different ports.

Best Regards,

Petr?nio

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco