cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Eigrp is restricted to stub configurations only

chrish
Level 1
Level 1

I have a scenario where I am trying to connect 2 sites with a redundant T1 link. At each site I have 2 4500 switches each setup using HSRP internally at each site, hence each 4500 are on common subnets (approximately 10 subnets apiece. I am now attempting to setup a 2811 T1 router "down stream" of the 4500's in relation to the primary WAN link with a redundant T1 across town. The 2 T1 routers exchange routes fine but across the ethernet link on one side I only see the local subnets not the remote. The 4500's at one site has this configured "eigrp stub connected summary".

In doing some research I believe this to be my problem although when I try to remove this apparently default config using the "no" command it tells me "Eigrp is restricted to stub configs only" I setup a second EIGRP process and it adds that config by default and I also can't remove it. Can someone please help me with this?

Thanks

8 Replies 8

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

sometime, IOS is unable to remove configuration statements and these becomes stuck. The area of trouble is "nvgen".

The only solution is to edit the whole configuration file with a text editor, copy it back to the router as startup-config, reload.

Hope this helps, if so please rate post.

Ouch!!!

In my scenario here that is a very drastic step!

Before doing so could you please confirm my belief that this stub config is keeping my 4500 from propgating routes downstream.

Thanks for your reply.

I'm unable to tell you 100% that eigrp stub is culpable, but it could.

See if the following document helps:

http://cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6599/products_white_paper0900aecd8023df6f.shtml

To work around the stuck statement, you can try 'no router eigrp xxx' and then "router eigrp xxx" with all the necessary commans. Make sure you have connectivity by some mean when doing this!!!

Chris

Do I understand your post correctly that 4500s on one side have eigrp stub and on the other side they do not?

On the side where eigrp stub is configured, are the 4500s using Sup II-plus ? I believe that it is a restriction of the Sup II-plus that it can only run eigrp with the stub implementation. This link is one of the places where I found that mentioned:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps4324/products_data_sheet09186a0080197424.html

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Chris,

Rick's response may have answered one part of the question about not being able to make the 4500 a non-stub EIGRP device.

As far as why the 4500 is not learning the routes we need more information to determine the reason for it. EIGRP stub would prevent the 4500 from advertising all but connected/summary routes it shouldn't prevent the 4500 from learning the routes from it's neighbor. Check the EIGRP configuration on the device that's connected to the 4500 switch to see if there's any distribute-list or routes being summarized out to the 4500 in question.

If you are still having problems it would help if you can post the configuration of all the devices and attach a diagram, if one available.

HTH

Sundar

All,

I really appreciate the replies and suggestions. I have not yet read the links which were provided but will do so soon. To answer some of the questions posed though:

The 4500's that have this issue have Sup Engine V's 10GE.

The other side of the link actually are 4948's not 4500's and that side is fine.

The 4500's themselves do not have an issue learning the remote routes. The problem is that they are apparently not advertising them to the "downstream" 2811 router, which to my understanding is what the questionable config is meant to do. They are only "apparently" advertising the locally connected subnets.

This is all a private network (dark fiber and private T1). All of the address space is in the 10.X.X.X space so I don't believe summarization is the problem but i did turn off auto-sum just in case.

There are no distribute-lists involved

That makes sense. Since the 4500 is configured as a stub it would only advertise the connected/summary routes to the 2811.

You may be able to workaround this by using a new feature called 'eigrp stub leak-map' and that would allow the stub router to leak some routes. It's relatively a new feature and if your switch supports it, you may need a new code.

There's not a whole lot of documentation available on this topic but here's one. I had tested this is my lab a while ago and this feature did work indeed!!

www.cisco.com/application/vnd.ms-powerpoint/en/us/guest/tech/tk207/c1482/cdccont_0900aecd801e4aab.ppt

HTH

Sundar

ruwhite
Level 7
Level 7

You might want to check with your local SE, or look the image name up on Cisco.com.... I think there are now some images shipping with a restricted subset of EIGRP in them, where they will only do stub, and nothing else. You could have one of these images.

I know we were doing such images, I just don't know which platforms, which releases, etc, since I'm not involved in that part of the process.

HTH

:-)

Russ

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card