cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Physically moving a Unity Server to a different server in the same org

n.kyei
Level 1
Level 1

When moving a Unity server and rehoming it to a different Exchange server in the same organization, what will be the best way to proceed?

8 Replies 8

Hin Lee
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If the UnityMsgStoreSvc and UnityDirSvc account do not have permissions on the new Partner-Exchange server, you will have to run Permission Wizard first.

You will run Message Store Configuration Wizard to point Unity to the new Partner exchange server.

Also if the mailboxes will be moved to the new home exchange server at the new location in the same org, do you see any issues there?

Another question, if I am actually moving the Unity Server from one AD domain (Domain A) and Exchange org (Org 1) to a different AD Domain (Domain B) and Exchange org (Org 2) and migrating mailboxes from Org 1 to Org 2, what will be the best way to proceed?

Will it be a

1.DiRT backup

2.Migrate mailboxes from Org 1 to Org 2

2.Unity Server rebuilt and added to Domain B

3.DiRT restore to newly rebuilt Unity server in Domain B Org 2.

or does anyone have any other suggestions?

DiRT utilizes exchange mailbox merge and you can use it during backup if you do not have to many mailboxes. Then restore using DiRT and the mailboxes should be restored also.

One thing to remember about DiRT is:

It does a search through ad and exchange for accounts and mailboxes. It tries to match on I think 3 things. See the DiRT help file at ciscounitytools.com.

If there is not a match (alias is slightly different or something) then there is a possibility that a duplicate account might get created. You don?t want that.

The best thing is to practice DiRT in the lab first before restoring in production.

rlp

So aside from the DiRT concerns, you think the process I outlined is the best approach?

Do I definitely have to rebuild the Unity Server in this scenario or can I just do the DiRT backup, delete the subscriber accounts, take the Unity Server out of Domain A, migrate Exchange mailboxes, add Unity to Domain B and run Message Store configuration wizard?

And of course reimport the users/

I would say rebuilding the Unity and doing a DiRT restore is your best bet if you are under 200 mailboxes.

You really should refer to the video training and help for DiRT at ciscounitytools.com

rlp

Thanks! I will let you know what happens.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: